Home » Audio » Speaker » Need suggestions for a lower range horn to mate with new Mid/High horns
Re: Two midbass horn layouts... [message #59567 is a reply to message #59566] Tue, 30 June 2009 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would not choose the option with the mids and tweeters near the ceiling and the woofer on the floor. I'd prefer the mids and tweeter down closer to the woofer, with a fairly wide overlap and smooth blend between woofer and midrange. The second option with the tall mid source - something like a line array - might be a good option. You could do this with a line of drivers perhaps. But in that case, I might be also tempted to use a line of tweeters instead of a point source.

Naturally, my way of doring this is what I've done in my six π and seven π loudspeakers. In those, the woofer and midhorn have a wide overlap to smooth the upper modal region. The midhorn and tweeter are tightly coupled to provide good summing over a 90°x40° pattern. You could always scale up the midhorn if you wanted. Larger horns tend to provide acoustic loading and pattern control down to a lower frequency. The only thing to watch out for is that you don't also reduce the upper frequencies or make it too large to give good verticals. There are lots of competing priorities to balance.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: using a wall of 15" woofers for bass.
Next Topic: Maggie in High Heels
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 26 02:11:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout