Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Hotel Ruwanda
Hotel Ruwanda [message #5926] Sun, 12 June 2005 22:40 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
We don't know. We just don't know waht goes on there.

But this film has a new currency with the rising problems in
Darfur.

Don Cheadle plays a hotel manager during the Ruwandan genocide.

It's an important film to see. And just about everyone can see
it. You see it has a PG13 rating. Don't get me wrong. I
think this is a positive thing. Remember: Fahrenheit 911
had a restricted rating above this so that young people would
not see the aftermath of war.

I think that in a picture like this, the actorsd take a lot of
chances for their art. The bad guys in this show are really bad.
But there's alos Jean Reno ("The Professional", "The Visitors")
as the hotel owner who lives in Paris.

The thing that struck me about Hotel Ruwanda was the use of
radio by the ... Hutus... I think... the ones that were bringing
the violence. The message of "don't trust your neighbors"
"watch the people next door" that sort of thing was particularly
effective. I wondered how far we are from that in USA.

The picture also reveals that the difference between the factions
was microscopic: physical features were _measured_ to define
which was which. top bottom, left-right, persecutor or persecuted.

And it goes on today.

But Hotel Ruwanda is the first telling of that time... the only
telling in a dramatic form in these 10 and more years. It's
important to make it a part of our collective memory. After all,
you won't hear about such things on the news; not in any
meaningful way.

Re: Hotel Ruwanda [message #5927 is a reply to message #5926] Mon, 13 June 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
There is a theory that claims the change in aridity and climate has decimated many areas of Africa and the desertification of big tracts of land in central and western areas has created a famine that modifies all aspects of the political and economic conditions in Africa. The migrations of large population groups is a response to this condition.
That combined with the colonial powers imposing arbitrary borders that include hostile tribes within the same countries has created an insurmountable crises.
Africa also has the highest birth-rate and lowest life span resulting in an average age of about 17 for the populations of all but the northern muslim nations that remain fairly stable.
There seems to be nothing left but to allow the forces of nature to produce some sort of equilibrium and cultural stasis.

The movie gives the impression that the war was a cultural event pitting Hutu's and Tutsi's. The truth seems much more related to the food shortages and people reaching for any means of survival.

Nothing we can do, they are so corrupt that aid never reaches the people; not to mention the self-serving international aid groups.
Comparisons between us and them regarding the use of propoganda; amazing how the level of education has no bearing on what you can be coerced to believe.

Rwanda [message #5928 is a reply to message #5927] Mon, 13 June 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I've mentioned it before (see link), but if you can stand it, Philip Gourevich's book, "We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families" is an utterly compelling and horrifying account of the genocide in Rwanda and the events leading up to it. Shamefully, the international community did nothing -- or rather worse than nothing. The genocide was coordinated in substantial part by the government radio station in Kigali. A single cruise missile or smart bomb on the transmitter and/or tower might well have saved hundreds of thousands of lives. Meanwhile, Madelaine Albright and the State Department were frantically arguing that no legally cognizable "genocide" was taking place and were urging the UN to withdraw the meagre peacekeeping force on the ground. Romeo Dallaire felt that even his small force could have averted, or at least significantly curtailed, the killing before it got underway. Kofi Annan refused. Disgusting.

Re: Rwanda [message #5929 is a reply to message #5928] Mon, 13 June 2005 16:12 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have a hard time believing that those in charge really have the best interests of the people at heart.

Previous Topic: A pure pleasure
Next Topic: Wings of Desire
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 11:22:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout