Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Blockbuster
Blockbuster [message #5755] Mon, 28 March 2005 22:02 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Good lord, Now that I recently joined blockbuster, I see the posts from a week or to ago concerning their "No late fee" deal. what a total rip off. I am reporting this one to the attorney general of this state anyway. After keeping it past the date not only do they charge you for the video, but even stranger, they immediately offered a "refund" upon my bringing the videos back....but here's the real slime...they charge a "restocking fee". This is deceptive as it gets, they're just calling it something else and using it as a spring board for advertising. I'm done with them, my videos will come from the other mom and pop operations. At least they call it what it is, A "late fee", which I don't mind paying because you're told up front about it, not deluded into thinking you can keep it longer only to find out you either bought it outright, or get refunded and charged a restocking fee. Their ridiculous letter states something to the effect that " since you kept it longer than the agreed period, they assume you wanted to purchase it"........what a load! No one mentioned anything about this forced purchase stuff, let alone the "restocking fee" when you sign up, just that if you want it a few more days, go ahead. If you must deal with this business, keep it to the last day, then call them and inform them you wish to take them up on their offer to keep it A FEW MORE DAYS, and see what they say. If they say they can't do it with out the forced purchase, call your state attorney generals office and report it. I really do not think they would say this, I,m sure they would agree. If they say OK and still charge your card, I believe they have violated the law by using your credit card unlawfully, since you called and manifested an intent to use their "keep it a few more days with no late fee" deal and an intent NOT to purchase it. I'm certain this is the loophole that makes this deal legal, but no one at my particular store said anything about calling untill I was down there ready to go off. I can not imagine anyone would fall for this if told up front. what is objectionable is the fact they entice you into a situation of having to pay a restocking fee by leading you to believe you won't have to pay a late fee. This ploy may have got a few people to sign up for now, but in the long run people will of course see what the real deal is and hopfully go elsewhere.

Okay, I'm all done now,
Russellc

Re: Blockbuster [message #5757 is a reply to message #5755] Mon, 28 March 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I saw that fine print, and realized what they were up to. But they can't push it too far, because they have too much competition these days. In fact, I think the whole reason they did it in the first place was declining market share to NetFlix.

I remember Blockbuster used to make a lot more money on late fees than on rentals. But now they've had to reorganize their thinking. The competition set them straight. Well, maybe not in light of what you're saying. But they're headed in that direction.

Anyway, I've been returning videos right away out of habit. I was always pretty concerned about getting stuck with late fees, so much that I usually preferred to purchase than to rent. That's kinda counterproductive since it's like sticking myself with the late fee right off the bat. But at least I get a nice pretty cover for the video that way. Anyway, I'm sorry to see you got stung on the deal. Alona calls them Blockbastards.

Re:Netflix Rules [message #5758 is a reply to message #5757] Tue, 29 March 2005 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
One more time: for $18 bucks a month you choose 3 out of 30,000 titles, they come to your mailbox in a few days, you watch one and put it back in the mailer and mail it. Watch another, mail it. All postpaid. You typically have one or two at home and another on the way or the way back. They have dist points around the country and the mail takes just days. You can get up to 8 at a time for $30 some odd dollars.
That's it. No other fees. All done online. I average 13 movies a month.

Re:Netflix Rules/NEWS ON BLOCKBUSTER! [message #5759 is a reply to message #5758] Wed, 30 March 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wha hoo! just heard on the news this morning that Missouri (where I live) and Kasnsas Attorney general offices have reached agreement with blockbuster to refund the restocking fee! I'm on my way down to get my $1.50 back and give them their card back, I'm done. If your state has,n,t reached a similar agreement, contact your states attorney generals office now.

Russellc

Re: Blockbuster [message #5760 is a reply to message #5757] Wed, 30 March 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne, take your business elsewhere if you are buying them. I understDYCRYPTER" ans "DVDSHRINK" and actually make copies of their rented DVD. Shame on them, of course...bad boys. I would purchase my videos off the net where they are cheaper than BB. Just google it up.
The attorney general route is very effective. their (THE offender) legal department must respond to each complaint, and most states have what are called "private attorney general" statutes that allow you to sue them, which in my case is $1.50, but you also get attorney fees so that an attorney can take your case and get all his/her full fees...H-mmmmm 150.00 an hour to get even, I think I'll stop representing criminals and go after these guys! Once the message is out, they change their practices.

Regards, Russellc

Re: Blockbuster [message #5761 is a reply to message #5760] Wed, 30 March 2005 05:42 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't buy from Blockbuster necessarily; I meant that, in general, I tend to buy instead of rent. But I'm thinkin' of checking out Bill's suggestion and giving Netflix a try.

Previous Topic: Today's Recommendation: Medieval
Next Topic: Attention Cassavettes fans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 20:18:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout