Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means
Maybe an example of legislating from the bench would help.. [message #57293 is a reply to message #57275] Thu, 03 November 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This is the kind of thing that is trying to be avoided.

Re: Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means [message #57295 is a reply to message #57290] Thu, 03 November 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Were getting sidetracked.There are no specific laws written in the Constitution.
Show me one.

The template for deciding what constitutes a viable and successful review is founded on the philosophy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

We are granted a right and the Supreme Court reviews cases to make sure that we have access to that right.
Take the Right to Bear Arms; what law is that?

Can I carry a rocket launcher? It is not specifically prohibited in the Constitution is it?

They look at the situation and see if it conforms to what the framers intended the rights and privledges to be in that case. If the rights of a citizen or entity are not respected pursuint to a legal ruling by a lower court they overturn the ruling. So again I ask:
What means legislating from the bench? Thats what they are supposed to do.

The case of Roe V Wade is the big trump card the bench guys use to illustrate their point. The Const. and BOR say nothing about medical procedures. But they do say a person has a right to privacy meaning to be in control of their personal destiny. Regardless of how you feel on the issue there must be a standard by which all citizens can judge their right to medical intervention. Be it one way or the other it must be respected for all citizens and not just some in one state and not another. Thats the job of the Supreme Court; to see that the rights of all entities are protected under the Constitutional umbrella.

Seems a stretch [message #57296 is a reply to message #57295] Thu, 03 November 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
"has a right to privacy meaning to be in control of their personal destiny"
What does privacy have to do with control of personal destiny?
-akhilesh

Re: Seems a stretch [message #57297 is a reply to message #57296] Thu, 03 November 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The privacy right includes the right to be left alone by the government as much as possible; thereby remaining free to make your life descisions without interference by unrelated parties. Not to be subject to unwarranted intrusions into your personal life is what the right of privacy protects.
Thats why you have a right to control your medical treatment in the event of a terrible and terminal illness without some busybodies dictating how you can be treated.
We all saw how the Congress rushed to screw with the Terry Schiavo family under pressure from religous wacko's. Thank God there is a higher court to deter that kind of interference.
Thats why the court is and should be the last word. Thats what the framers wanted; the court to reign in politicaly motivated extremists in the Legislature like we saw in that case.
Right of Privacy. Thank God they thought of it.

Re: Seems a stretch [message #57298 is a reply to message #57297] Thu, 03 November 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
"The privacy right includes the right to be left alone by the government as much as possible; thereby remaining free to make your life descisions without interference by unrelated parties."

John,
Where do you infer this right in the COnstitution?
-akhilesh

Re: Seems a stretch [message #57299 is a reply to message #57298] Thu, 03 November 2005 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; my friend, there is of course a very well established right of privacy extending from constitutional precepts established in the law dating back to the founding. The stare' descisis is well established in that regard.

Now you ask where in the constitution this right originates.
In the original document there was no Bill of Rights simply because the fathers did not see a need explaining that the Const. itself provided those rights enumerated in the BOR.
However some of the original founders felt there might be a mis-understanding down the road so they all agreed to draft and ratify a Bill of Rights and that is what we see now in the smithsonian.
Now while the main body of the Constitution spells out what the Government may do and what it must do; the Bill of Rights spells out what the Government MAY NOT DO.
It can't search or seize your property without due process
It cannot hold you in prison without trial
It can't enact laws abridging the freedom of speech/religion/or the right to bear arms.
And various other prohibitions on Government activity are spelled out.
The Ninth and Tenth amendmendts were enacted to make sure there was absolutely no mis-understanding concerning the LIMITED power of the government granted by the Constitution.
Amendmendt IX The enumeration in the constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution nor prohibited by it to the states are reserved to the states respectively or TO THE PEOPLE.

Now where is the right to privacy? It is clearly in those two amendmendts and the Bill of Rights.
The Government has no power to tell people what to do except in areas specifically authorised in the Constitution.

You can't find the right to privacy spelled out in the Constitution? You can't find a right to be married spelled out either; or any other personal right. But that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Re: Seems a stretch [message #57300 is a reply to message #57299] Fri, 04 November 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
So, you are OK then with the right to buy a rocket launcher and keep it in your home, and fire it on your propoerty?
That seems to be clearly implied in your post.
-akhilesh

Re: Seems a stretch [message #57301 is a reply to message #57300] Fri, 04 November 2005 13:30 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No my freind; I am clearly in favor of the Supreme Court deciding whether my neighbor can have a rocket launcher. Since the court is composed of supposedly wise and learned jurists then of course that would be prohibited. But in some states where the gun lobby is very powerfull that might be allowed by legislative permission.
That permission to own weapons like that is the government allowing; under pressure of lobbiests and special interests the right to trample on my rights as a citizen to be safe in my home.
Some would call that"Legislating from the bench." I call it reasoned examination of the law.
Thats the privacy right in action. Not to be allowed by law to do something stupid like own a rocket launcher and thereby trample on my rights to be safe.
Not to allow the government to read all of my personal coorespondence on my computor without my knowledge.
Thats my point.
So I still don't see and no one either here or in the media has given a coherent answer to the question of what exactly is legislating from the bench.

Previous Topic: Yeah but it worked and there will be hearings thank God
Next Topic: Nice; Rumsfeld opens new prisons on the site's of the old concentration camps.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 06:19:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio