Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Barbershop II
Barbershop II [message #5610] Sun, 30 January 2005 19:11 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I am starting to like B-shop II better than the first one. Any ideas? I always loved Carwash I, the gay guy say's;"I am more man than you will ever be and more woman than you will ever get".
Funny the guy Calvin originates with the band NWA.

Re: Barbershop II [message #5612 is a reply to message #5610] Sun, 30 January 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I didn't watch either of 'em. Thanks for the mention, I'll rent them.

Re: Barbershop II-- a quick recommendation [message #5615 is a reply to message #5610] Mon, 31 January 2005 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

See if you can find a copy of "Fear Of A Black Hat" which is _the_
most biting satire on the hip hop/rap scene ever made--
no contest.

I loved that, but it is pretty raw. The director should do more
work and maybe he has, but I haven't tracked any down.

Saw Barbershop (I) and looking forward to II coming off the
first run shelf. It has that Spike Lee "Do The Right Thing"
community flavor and I'm glad that Ice Cube continues
in the movie business. But frankly, I thought this would
be snapped up by tv and made into a series.

Re: Barbershop II-- a quick recommendation [message #5616 is a reply to message #5615] Tue, 01 February 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That would make sense. Cedric the Entertainer; they seem to know what they have in him they just don't know how to handle it. He is getting the Media Moron treatment in everything they put him in except these two movies. Let the man do his thing; he's a genius of comedy.
It would make a great series, but maybe Ice Cube don't have the right background for network TV.
I like Spike even though he is a whitey hater. "She's Gotta Have It", is one of my favorite movies. And what was that movie about the fraternities he starred in?

Re: Barbershop II-- a quick recommendation [message #5617 is a reply to message #5616] Tue, 01 February 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I imagine that any further discussion about whether Spike Lee is
or isn't a racist belongs in the dungeon or someplace. I personally
don't think any case can be made for it.

It's Spike Lee who tours college campuses and cautions the black
students (male students) not to be seduced by dreams of
becoming a basketball or football hero. Today he is probably adding
that being seduced by becoming a war hero is an even bigger
illusion.

That fraternity film is not coming to mind but I've seen
quite a bit of Spike Lee's work. I could not sit through
"She's Gotta Have It", though I tried once. I thought it played
to stereotypes as a 'saleable product' for a young director.

But films like "X" and especially "Get On The Bus" show
Lee as a craftsman of drama. Do not confuse character dialog
with a personal stance by the author. The best of theatre
shows both sides of the argument and lets the audience decide.

Re: Barbershop II-- a quick recommendation [message #5618 is a reply to message #5617] Tue, 01 February 2005 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
School Daze, that's the fraternity movie. The other one I really liked was Mo' Betta Blues, however he is pretty rough on the Jewish people in that one. But I will watch anything with Denzel in it. Understand I have no axe to grind here, I could care less about his philosophy, but I don't think he makes any secret of how he feels. Maybe you never heard him in person or on the HBO fight night special when he went at it with
Larry Merchant. 40 acres and a Mule; pretty much says it all.
She's Gotta Have It, yes it was a sophomoric effort but it had a lighthearted sense of fun and exuberance that I personally found engaging.
Do The Right Thing operated on so many levels that it seemed stitched together; moments of brilliance sandwiched between cliche' proselytising. It was like watching a train wreck in action. But I will admitt it was hard to take your eye's off of it.
Anyway you have to seperate the art from the artist.

Re: Barbershop II-- a quick recommendation: Bamboozled [message #5619 is a reply to message #5618] Tue, 01 February 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

The most severe statement that Spike Lee has made is a film called Bamboozled. This one deserves a whole separate discussion. It's
not at all surprising that the film did not get much notice. There
is much to make the viewer uncomfortable, regardless of color.

This doesn't make it a bad film. It makes it an important film.

OTOH, Summer of Sam I didn't care for and can hardly give an
opinion about. Some things work, some don't.

What I think emerges in an artists work is that the more
the artist grows as a world figure, the more he grows as a creator.

But no, I have not heard the interviews you mentioned.

Re: Barbershop II-- a quick recommendation: Bamboozled [message #5620 is a reply to message #5619] Wed, 02 February 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Interesting observation. I would assume off the top of my head that the demands of fame would compromise an artist's ability to be meaningfull.
Let me ask you what you think about this phenomena of quality actors and directors reaching a certain noteriety and becoming caricatures of themselves. Is that axiomatic within that proffesion?
I don't remmember someone like Gregory Peck becoming a shell of himself and his talent; whats going on with these guys. You see a picture with a name star and expect it will be watchable and you are disappointed.
Bobby D; Jack; lots more to name. Where are the true practitioners of the craft? Can you picture Spencer Tracy acting the fool in a movie?
Ever see the movie, The Cup? Made in Tibet real nice flick.

Re: Barbershop II-- a quick recommendation: Bamboozled [message #5621 is a reply to message #5620] Wed, 02 February 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Interesting observation. I would assume off the top of my head that the demands of fame would compromise an artist's ability to be meaningfull.

cf: The Painted Word by Tom Wolfe. He agrees and says that art
today is driven by critics and sales rather than invention.

Let me ask you what you think about this phenomena of quality actors and directors reaching a certain noteriety and becoming caricatures of themselves. Is that axiomatic within that proffesion?
I don't remmember someone like Gregory Peck becoming a shell of himself and his talent; whats going on with these guys. You see a picture with a name star and expect it will be watchable and you are disappointed.

There are several actors and actresses I have on a permanent
avoid list: Robert DeNiro, Gene Hackman, Heather Graham, Julia Roberts... there's a few others-- Hugh Grant. Al Pacino is flirting with this list as well.

Bobby D; Jack; lots more to name. Where are the true practitioners of the craft? Can you picture Spencer Tracy acting the fool in a movie?
Ever see the movie, The Cup? Made in Tibet real nice flick.

I've seen The Cup, Bend It Like Beckham, Monsoon Wedding.
The Cup tackled the exile of the Dahlai Lama doesn't it?

To answer your question, it is simply laziness on the part of
producers and directors to go to the well for the same named
actors over and over.

Over the past 15 years, quality work without named stars has
been coming out of places like HBO. I'm thinking in particular
of the excellent performance by Halle Berry in "Introducing Dorothy Dandridge." The French have done a striking adaptation of
"The Count of Monte Cristo" with Depardieu.

What sometimes amazes me is the selection made by my
public library in the area of foreign films... stuff I never
heard of.

To get out of the big star/big disappointment rut, you simply
have to take chances: select things you know absolutely nothing
about. In doing so I've found my share of dogs, but I've also
found things that have made the search worthwhile.

"Bamboozled" was one of those. "Eight Women" was another. And
"The Reflecting Skin", whaaaa. What sort of brain does Philip
Ridley have anyway?

Here's is my editorialization: Whether it be films, politics,
tv or even dates, American people are scared sh*tless of everything.
So they let their taste be made by critics, advisors, polls, box office-- _anyone_ but themesleves. And in so doing they are manipulated like never before. Then as this manipulation is taking place they will congratulate themselves on being with the 'authentic'
majority: the ones who vote based on who they'd rather have a beer with.

The answer, as Arundhati Roy says, is to make mass media
irrelevant.

Today there is a movement afoot to release films directly to the
public via broadband. Morgan Freeman has produced the first of
these. Radio available commercial free via satellite or streamed
is another broadband possibility.

But these things isolate people even more in their "home theaters"
which, rightly put, is a contradiction in terms. The theatrical experience is supposed to be a collective one.

What has to be done to improve quality is to 'stay away in droves.'

Re: Barbershop II-- a quick recommendation: Bamboozled [message #5622 is a reply to message #5621] Wed, 02 February 2005 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You've made some good points, and they have caused me to pause and give them the attention they deserve.
Art; it used to reflect the highest aspirations of the culture that created it. I favor literature from the American canon of the early 20th century; so I will speak to that. Authors like Fitzgerald and Thomas Wolfe; or Nelson Algren in the 50's wrote of the human experience through the lens of popular culture. Their dialogue reflected that inspiration because back then people had conversations; about things that mattered.
Now the avenues of expression are choked and strangled by the constant barrage of useless information and the taboo nature of any subject of substance. Example; when my father was a young man he claims that discussing politics was not only expected by adults but was considered a social responsibility for the citizenry. Now that avenue of opinion is shunned by most of the populace. How do you learn to accept or refute contrary opinions if you never hear one. How do you even form a reasonable opinion without debate?
So without any personal stake in ordinary everyday communication, art has no reference upon which to inform the experience.
So yes I agree with your position on the scared sh**less view. They cannot handle controversy because they are never forced to deal with it. Without tapping the energy of cultural position; where is the Art to come from? Possibly why the music is so vapid and vague?
Movies; I think guy's like those you mention get lazy because they have amazing amounts of money waved at them. Where is the incentive? The libraries get the unusual films because they are available and cheap since they have limited distribution possibilities.

The Cup; I forced my son to watch it and he ended up liking it. It is a simple morality tale that deals with the exhile with grace and wit. That director who did the Cup has a new movie out that is getting some positive press.
Woman Of The Dunes?
Urzu Dersla?
The Unbelievable Truth?
Ghost Dog? Some movies I have liked recently.
Depardieu is great; I remmember seeing him in Going Places, back in the 70's in a real theater. I liked Green Card also, a simple guilty pleasure. I am going to rent Bamboozled, you have me curious now.

Previous Topic: Sky Captain was pretty good
Next Topic: "Hamlet"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 04 15:11:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout