Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Poisoned Yushchenko?
Poisoned Yushchenko? [message #56038] Wed, 15 December 2004 01:34 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
We've all seen Victor's face. You can't miss the change. Yushchenko tells the world that he was poisoned by Ukrainian authorities. His wife tells ABC she tasted the poison when she kissed him, the night before he fell ill. Even the far left Pravda reports the fact that dioxin was found in Yushchenko's blood.

So if poisoned by adversaries, why wouldn't they use something that would remove him from the election? Why use something that is rarely lethal? Seems pretty convenient that his appearance announces "fraud" to the world, allowing him to play the victim. The guy has pregnant chads all over his face.

It's none of my business, but I don't think I'd be particularly thrilled with either Yushchenko or Yanukovich if I were a Ukrainian. But I imagine the emotional response generated will probably help effect the re-election. Maybe that's good, since Yushchenko is evidently friendly with us here in the West. But I'm just not sure that I can take the chain of events at "face value." (Pun intended)

Re: Poisoned Yushchenko? [message #56040 is a reply to message #56038] Wed, 15 December 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It is an old trick in the slavic countries. You don't poison to kill; you poison just enough to keep the victim around as an example to others that he can be gotten to. And to leave permanent scarring as a warning. Happened in the past many times.

Re: Poisoned Yushchenko? [message #56043 is a reply to message #56040] Wed, 15 December 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Maybe. Making an example is an old mobster trick. Maybe a New Russian thing. Or maybe an opportunistic ploy. It's impossible to say.

One tough guy [message #56047 is a reply to message #56043] Wed, 15 December 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
He has the second highest recorded dioxin level ever.....Colin

Maybe he campaigned too much near Chernobyl? [message #56050 is a reply to message #56047] Thu, 16 December 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The word is on the street that Yushchenko won this round. [message #56056 is a reply to message #56050] Sun, 26 December 2004 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
No surprise, Yushchenko won this round. And it may be a good thing. But I still can't help wonder...

Latest update [message #56066 is a reply to message #56056] Mon, 10 January 2005 07:20 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
So far, so good. Most I've talked to are happy with how things are going. Ukraine has made a very impressive and attractive commercial, probably hoping to boost image and increase tourism. That may not sound like much, but it has a certain "feel" of confidence that is nice. No matter how the old boy got in there, it looks like it may work out well for all involved.

Previous Topic: One by Tom Clancy
Next Topic: Response to Meeting Write-ups
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 15:45:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout