Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Competitive edge
Re: Competitive edge - too much nostalgia? [message #55949 is a reply to message #55945] Sat, 30 October 2004 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Point taken. You may be right.

But really, I think automobiles made in America in the 50's and 60's were some of the best in the world. I love German cars too, and have a long history with them. But I'm not particularly impressed with any German automobiles until the 70's. I don't dislike them, but I do prefer the American muscle more. I'm talking about comparisons like the Ford GT40 or Cobra to the Porsche 911 of the same era.

Rolls Royce in the 50's and 60's didn't actually compare because it used archaic 1920's technology. What made it special was its craftsmanship, not its performance.

In another industry, I think American electronics were some of the best in the 50's and 60's. Sure, other companies made fine goods, but American products were what everyone wanted. American televisions were the best. There really wasn't a commercial market for computers that wasn't American.

I'm sure you're right about the nostalgia factor. But I do think America was a market leader in several key industries. I also think those industries have become much more competitive, and that it's harder for American companies to stay on top. And that brings me back to the point of what was kinda bugging me when I wrote the initial "Competitive edge" post - I think American companies should be careful about holding back on new technologies. There was a time when companies could wait to introduce technology so that they could keep from having to re-tool. The American V8 engine is a great example. But I think those days are gone, and to hold off on new technology now is to lose a competitive edge. It's like folding with a flush in your hands.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Hey this is more enlightening than the Ashlee Simpson Debacle ain't it?
Next Topic: My first Holiday shopping experience of the Season
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 00:14:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout