Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Troll: HI FI is absolute or relative?
Troll: HI FI is absolute or relative? [message #55714] Fri, 09 January 2004 15:23 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI All,
Is Hi fi a measurable concept, or is it subjective?
Would you rather trade some fidelity for better euphonics (are you a tubophile?)?
Or do you believe HiFi should be absolutely measurable (are you a krellite?)
-akhilesh

Re: Troll: HI FI is absolute or relative? [message #55715 is a reply to message #55714] Fri, 09 January 2004 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Perfection is absolute. And since perfection isn't possible, the best we can hope for is a pleasant illusion.

I strive to achieve a recreation that is as accurate as possible. Since perfection isn't possible, this really means that I try to limit the amount and severity of anomalies. Where there are compromises to be made - and there always are - I choose what's important to me, being realistic about what resources are available.

As much as I prefer to stay objective, the fact is that it still boils down to an emotional response.

I'm a constructivist... [message #55724 is a reply to message #55715] Fri, 16 January 2004 13:46 Go to previous message
artsybrute is currently offline  artsybrute
Baron
I've been an audiophile for over 35 years and have some strong opinions.

I believe it's about what you like, can hear, and what you like about what you hear. I used to be into Dylan and the Band, Joan Jett and stuff like that, loved accuracy and power. Now, like many older audiophiles who have burned out a portion of their hearing but still have perfect pitch, I'm into cellos, oboes and the like. I don't believe the most accurate systems let one hear stuff like the differences between a 1965 Martin guitar and a Gibson, just because our present systems still need to greatly compress the dynamic range. Maybe in ten years.

So I like pure analog tube sound, turntable to SET to sensitive speakers at this point in time. I leave accurate reproduction to my home theatre system, 'cause the soud engineers there strive to make films that can sound better soundtrack-wise with accurate playback equipment. With music, I love the sound of harmonics that might not even have been there in the third row (orchestra) center seat.

I think some of my audiophile friends are gonna flame me on this one.

Previous Topic: Mad Cows
Next Topic: Just Looking Around
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 10:56:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout