Home » xyzzy » Tower » Welcome to the Republican Party
Re: That's What Rush Has Been Saying [message #55694 is a reply to message #55689] Fri, 03 October 2008 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Something we're all guilty of to a much greater extent than we would like to admit is filtering out information that contradicts our beliefs. A Republican is far more likely to filter out any suggestion that Rebublican policies and actions are responsible for the mortgage crisis, and a Democrat is far more likely to filter out any suggestions of Democrat culpability. Something else we do is to accept without skepticism messages that reinforce our point of view. Example: Anybody ever watch a Michael Moore documentary? Am I the only one that sees them as extremely one-sided? And this guy has actually received awards and standing ovations!

It's helpful to me to seek a more balanced explanation of any public issue that I'm concerned about. In the case of the subprime mortgage crisis, the explanation in the Wikipedia appears to be a balanced and comprehenisve summary. For example, it does mention the Community Reinvestment Act, and it summarizes the positions of detractors and supporters. This is very different from the one-sided comments of politicians about the causes of the crisis.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: One gigabyte then and now
Next Topic: The soothing sound of running water.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 06 22:40:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio