Home » xyzzy » Tower » If you think this hobby is expensive....
If you think this hobby is expensive.... [message #55144] Sun, 09 April 2006 18:23 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
try R/C car racing. I've been thinking of getting back into it for a year or so. I was at a neighborhood garage sale yesterday, and one of the neighbors a $200 car sitting there. She said her son thought it was broken - nope. Thing runs like a champ. It does, however, need new batteries ($50 a stick), an updates speed controller ($50), a hotter motor ($50), bearings for wheels and tranny ($50).......I think you get the picture now. My son and I took it out in the cul-de-sac today and ran through 5 very old battery packs. Priceless. Now to get my gas nitro truck up and running.

Also have an electric V-hull boat (3 feet long or so) that uses 2 battery packs and 3 motors, and it will do about 30 mph when properly trimmed out. Throws a tail like nobody's business. Don't ask what happens when the juice runs out .......Colin

Re: If you think this hobby is expensive.... [message #55145 is a reply to message #55144] Mon, 10 April 2006 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
My brother in law is into R/C cars. He's got the boat, 4 cars, an airplane. I would hate to venture what he has in the cars alone as they were around $300 a piece stock. They sure are fast as hell though.

Re: If you think this hobby is expensive.... [message #55146 is a reply to message #55145] Mon, 10 April 2006 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was into home recording in `80s and `90s - before cheap PCs, soundcards, HD recording, cheap digital multiefects, mics...
I remembered how much I payed for some instruments, mics, effects, synth, mixers, ADAT... huh. That was expensive hobby!

Re: If you think this hobby is expensive.... [message #55147 is a reply to message #55146] Mon, 10 April 2006 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I can officially say that my guitar hobby has been expensive. For instance: buy a new guitar, after a month or so change the pickups, then add any stompboxes (chorus, wah, whatever), then a new amp here and there, noise gate for the high gain amp, microphones for playing gigs, backup guitar for gigs, cables, cases, strings, etc......

Re: If you think this hobby is expensive.... [message #55151 is a reply to message #55144] Mon, 10 April 2006 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

RC planes and helicopters too. Love it!

Re: If you think this hobby is expensive.... [message #55152 is a reply to message #55147] Tue, 11 April 2006 05:45 Go to previous message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
The big one, restoring old cars. I've done one, don't think I'll do it again. Fun, but too expensive, too hard, takes a couple of yrs min.

RC also on my list. I have 1/4 scale crackerbox boat built from scratch that I've never run and a kit built plane. Been several years back though.

Previous Topic: Headlines from the year 2029 - (Humor)
Next Topic: The Worst Part About Guest Worker Status
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 08 09:18:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout