Home » xyzzy » Tower » Social Security
Social Security [message #54310] Sun, 26 June 2005 08:18 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The ruling on home takings seems to purvey the same spirit as the taking of the public retirement system to allow the rich to benefit through the increased investment of those funds in the stock market. Our little investment nest egg is nothing compared to what these guys have at stake; thirty yrs of saving at minimum 30% of your income to afford a decent retirement but they get the benefit of lower capital gains taxes immediately. Wake up people, they are not on your side.

Re: Social Security [message #54311 is a reply to message #54310] Sun, 26 June 2005 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The analysis I've read, right or wrong, is that for the upper echelon the goal is really two-fold: reduction or elimination of long term capital gains taxes and the estate tax.

The reason is that for really rich people their assets are rarely exposed to taxation before death while most of their holdings are subject to long term capital gains taxation when their estates are settled. That fact, and the estate tax, are the real impediments to dynastic wealth in the US.

Re: Social Security [message #54312 is a reply to message #54311] Sun, 26 June 2005 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
100% agree.
I think, and I have no supporting data; that the real concern is this;
They want to institute some guest worker program and a right to legal citizenship for the existing illegals here now. However their salaries would then be required to participate in the Social Security program. That in turn would enable them to declare disability, on the job injury settlements and medicaid benefits. As well as retirement payouts after 5 yrs. This means entire communities of non-covered employees would be instantly grandfathered into the system. In order not to be hamstrung by discrimination claims they would have to offer these benefits to all; and that money would be sent out of the country to whatever host country the recipient hails from.
Most illegals do dangerous or physical work that eventually results in injury enabling a SS claim. Their only way out is to slash and burn the existing programs. Or we get millions of possible draws against revenue. The responsible reaction would be too force a livable wage on employers. Since that ain't gonna happen then we are asked to flag the public protections and safety net.

Now that's why I wish I could think fro myself [message #54313 is a reply to message #54312] Mon, 27 June 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Interesting analysis - you've painted a more than plausible scenario of the potential impact of Bush's legalization push. But more than that, since you clear up the "why" part.

I never understood why the leader of the "America First" crowd would want to legalize illegals - his people can pay what it takes to hire who they want; they'll never have to clean a toilet themselves.

But now it's clear - if your goal is to roll back the New Deal one great way to ensure it's demise would be to really make sure it collapses under its own weight. Then full privatization becomes the only alternative.

VERY good Grasshopper - your time here is at an end.

Re: Now that's why I wish I could think fro myself [message #54314 is a reply to message #54313] Mon, 27 June 2005 08:01 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It sucks having to be a full time cynic; but examine the evidence and compare it with past practice and it doesn't take a genious to see what folks are up to.
Then when you see millions agreeing with programs whose eventual result will cut the throats of the middle class; all I can say is it's draining both mentally and spiritually.
There was(Finally) a show on the so-called "liberal" media last night about all of the war wounded returning home and how terrible their wounds that are made with these IED's are. And how the Army provides very little support once the initial evacuation is accomplished. Families burning their life savings to be with their horribly mangled kids in some foriegn hospital; and refusing to discuss the burden of the loss of income has on the survivors family. Because the soldiers lose their combat pay and, if they return to the U.S. for treatment, they lose their offshore bonus. That leaves the families with huge financial burdens/loss of income/and loss of support with a person needing huge amounts of therapy. 14k of them as of this date.
And for what?
Then Rumsfeld glibly smiling in interviews about how naive we all are to think this war will end anytime soon. We are all so silly.

Previous Topic: this is what happens if your undies are too small for you
Next Topic: P2P supremes rule
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 14 10:17:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout