Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Эрмитаж - Russian Ark
Эрмитаж - Russian Ark [message #5425] Sun, 24 October 2004 03:36 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Александр Сокуров (Alexander Sokurov) did a wonderfully interesting film called "Russian Ark." It is filmed entirely in the Госудаственный Эрмитаж (Hermitage Museum), and is done as one long take, literally 90 minutes of continuous film footage.

The movie appears to have been intended for a Western audience, since all the credits appear in English, However, the dialog is entirely in Russian and sibtitled. That's not a problem though, even if you don't speak Russian. Because the dialog is very simple, and the main focus is on the sights and sounds. It shows the art of the Palace and the music of the era when it still was home of the Tsars.

I thought the movie had a strange feel for the first few minutes. It is narrated by two ghosts, one Russian and one French. It is shown throuh the eyes of the Russian ghost, who follows the French ghost through the museum. The dialog between them is a rather condescending exchange where the Frenchman taunts the Russian about the quality of life and art in Russia. But the two are obviously connected, and the chemistry between them is interesting. But more than that is the way Sokurov was able to show 300 years of history, culture and art in this 90 minute uninterupted walkthrough of the Hermitage Palace in St. Petersburg. The "making of" section of the DVD is nearly as interesting as the film itself, so be sure and watch that too.

Re: Эрмитаж - Russian Ark [message #5426 is a reply to message #5425] Sun, 24 October 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats what that was! I saw that on one of the pirated cable channels and I remmember it perfectly, the two guys tour an art museum and discuss the various paintings, tieing them in to their respective era's and their commentary on the social and political events of that time. I was absorbed. However I could never find it again. Thanks Wayne, something to look forward to.

Re: Эрмитаж - Russian Ark [message #5428 is a reply to message #5426] Sun, 24 October 2004 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just bought a copy from an Amazon-affiliated vendor - $18.52 brand new.

Can't understand whay Amazon features links to sellers who undercut their price right on the same page as the item listing.

Re: Эрмитаж - Russian Ark [message #5430 is a reply to message #5428] Sun, 24 October 2004 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Probably some kickback thing. How did you like the movie?

Re: Эрмитаж - Russian Ark [message #5436 is a reply to message #5430] Mon, 25 October 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I mean "just" bought it - as in read the post, thought it would be very interesting, and went and clicked at Amazon.

I'll try to remember to post something after I see it.

Re: Эрмитаж - Russian Ark [message #5441 is a reply to message #5425] Mon, 25 October 2004 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I saw this a while back on VHS. I hope the local library
bought a disk copy as well (though I don't have a player.)

I'll be getting one.

Russian Ark is great-- I do not recall how I got tipped off
to it. I was slack jawed at the end. One take. The fact that it
was done on video makes it a little easier to grasp.

So now that we are taking about 'arty pictures' I'd
recommend the work of Peter Greenaway, in particular for
this discussion "Drowning By Numbers." In the film there
are images of the numbers 1 thru 100 placed cleverly as the
story unwinds. For me, the first one is always hardest---
I had to get 'tip' on that.

"Drowning by Numbers" [message #5443 is a reply to message #5441] Tue, 26 October 2004 02:29 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds interesting Lon, thanks! I did a search on Amazon, and found it on VHS but the DVD version has been released yet. They show that it is being made though, and is currently listed as a pre-release. So it should be available soon.

Previous Topic: Dogville
Next Topic: What the Bleep!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 06:18:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout