Home » xyzzy » Tower » Humble Pie
Humble Pie [message #54070] Sat, 21 August 2004 19:08 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Boy; I forgot how good they sound on Rock On, the live album. Forty Days In The Hole; This sounds good with the little Tubes For Hi Fi EL-84 on the Theater 4's. Only 17 watts but nice bass even with only 10db neg. feedback they still sound nice and tight. Sounded so good I had to put Bloodrock's," D.O.A." on to shake up the youngsters. This is rapidly becoming my favorite system.
Next up is Atomic Rooster. Dragging out the mouldy oldies.
"Is There Anybody Out There?"
One of my most fsvorite articles in V.T.V. was written by Natalie Stone. She rebuilt an Altec 287 amp I think it was, a huge monster with mercury Vapor rec. tubes. She describes firing it up and then "Walking down the block to see how her neighbors were enjoying the music".
How come I don't have any neighbors like that?

Re: Humble Pie [message #54071 is a reply to message #54070] Sat, 21 August 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What issue had the Natalie Stone article? Can you tell me more?

About your 17 watt amp, I have learned what you mean there. I like my Paramours and Akhilesh's 45 amp sounds great too. But I have really been smitten with push-pull amps having a little bit more power. Both are good, and I'd like my next experience to be to spend some time with a SET having a transmitter tube, hoping to get the best of both worlds.

Re: Humble Pie [message #54072 is a reply to message #54071] Sun, 22 August 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Wayne; The issue with Natalie is Issue No. 9 Spring of 1998, there is a lot of good stuff in that one including a whole workup of a 211 transmitting tube amp. You will get a kick out of her, she descibes using a neon lamp as an igniter on the Altec 287 and developing a 10 inch arc just to see what would happen.
Right about the 17 watts, and this little amp is sweet. But I have been corresponding with some people for a year now who have designed and built a 211 SE amp. They have excellent measured response with max. 25 watt output. I would eventually go that route I just need to screw up the courage to deal with 1250 volts on the plate and the very complex power supply. Not to mention expensive opt's. That was the discussion of damper diodes in the power supply on the tube forume.
The guys say that the chinese 211's sound pretty good.
Talk To You,J.R.

Re: Humble Pie [message #54073 is a reply to message #54072] Sun, 22 August 2004 16:50 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, now that's cool. I'll have to check into that. I'm intrigued with audio amps using powerful transmitter tubes. Might be able to turn the house heating unit down a notch when listening too.

Previous Topic: How to know if your beer is bogus
Next Topic: what software runs this forum?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 20:36:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio