Home » xyzzy » Tower » Scientific Inquiry
Scientific Inquiry [message #54062] Mon, 09 August 2004 00:08 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't know if any of you are familiar with James Randi, but he offers $1 million to amyone who can PROVE their paranormal claims - psychic abilities, etc...

Recently, he offered challenged those who can hear the effects of audio-related magic.

Reference: http://www.randi.org/jr/073004an.html#3

Re: Scientific Inquiry [message #54063 is a reply to message #54062] Mon, 09 August 2004 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I wonder if any of those guys will take the challenge. I also wonder to whom you have to prove your claims and what has to be done for verification.

• A Firm Offer

• CHECK THIS OUT! [message #54067 is a reply to message #54063] Sat, 14 August 2004 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
    Illuminati (2nd Degree)
    He doesn't need to prove that his reviews are meaningful, but BETTER THAN THAT HE SAYS THAT HE DOESN'T NEED $1,000,000 - IT'S JUST TOO MUCH OF A HEADACHE!

Re: CHECK THIS OUT! [message #54068 is a reply to message #54067] Sun, 15 August 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (33rd Degree)
    www.audioasylum.com

Re: Scientific Inquiry [message #54096 is a reply to message #54062] Thu, 30 September 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
    Illuminati (3rd Degree)
    Great post, Wuan!
    I did not know Mr. Randi had entered the vodoo world of high enfd audio...apparently he has. I bet you no one will take up his challenge.
    -akhilesh

Scientific Inquiry? On second thought, maybe not. Sensationalism? That's more likely. [message #54102 is a reply to message #54062] Sun, 10 October 2004 10:23 Go to previous message
    Illuminati (33rd Degree)
    I heard some comments about James Randi recently, and so I'm here to report the gossip. To tell the truth, it wasn't very flattering about Mr. Randi. He has been invited for interview on a popular 500+ station radio show, and he has consistently turned down the request. To me, this is unacceptable. If Mr. Randi truly wanted the facts to be exposed, then I think he might be willing to be interviewed. If he himself is not willing to be interviewed and investigated, then I am not sure he is worthy of interviewing and investigating anyone else.

The story below is one example of Randi's reaction to a challenge that didn't go his way:

Million-Dollar Psychic Challenge Awaits Brooklyn Girl

You know that I'm pretty skeptical about claims of the paranormal. I'm fascinated by them though too, so I like to read about them, and watch televisions specials and listen to radio shows. It is an interesting subject to me. But I am a skeptic, just like Randi.

On the other hand, I can see how Mr. Randi's zeal to disprove people might lead him to be more prone to obsessive blind ambition than they are. It's like the adage of an irresitable force meeting an immovable object. Both are absolutes, so both are just as unrealizable.

I guess my focus in this post is on zeal, and on how blindly the overzealous can be driven. I'm not sure it is any more important that Randi "shatters the illusion" of a "false claim" than maybe it is he realize that his own interest might make him even more blind. After all, he has a million dollars on the bets and a self-appointed mission to promote a "gospel" of his own making. That million dollars and his unwavering blind mindset that only his version of the truth is real might be more an illusion than the ones he tries to disprove. If he uses arrogance and intimidation to make his case, then he is just as blind as the Vatican charging Galileo.

Previous Topic: Magnet Motor
    Next Topic: Try this
    Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 05:54:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
    DIY Audio Projects
    OddWatt Audio
    OddWatt Audio
    Pi Speakers
    Pi Speakers
    Prosound Shootout