Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2-Pi tower port size???
2-Pi tower port size??? [message #53522] Tue, 12 May 2009 16:17 Go to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
At 4.5 cu. feet and a 4.5 inch port it would seem that the 2-Pi tower would have a port frequency of 49 hertz. Does the insulation slow down the airspeed this much ? Or is it because the sound has to pass thru 2 sheets of insulation ? Does the insulation act like a air-port like the dynaco used ? Thanks.

Re: 2-Pi tower port size??? [message #53525 is a reply to message #53522] Tue, 12 May 2009 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you measure it, you'll find it resonates around 40Hz to 42Hz, somewhere in there. I've seen some Helmholtz calculators that show values a little higher, some a little lower. Mostly I think it's the difference in the area offset, sometimes called "corrected length". If you try two or three different calculators, you'll see what I mean.

The tower two π is a little trickier than some bass reflex cabinets in that standing waves are developed within the passband. That makes port and driver location pretty important. It also makes the insulation even more important than usual, so be sure to install it as described in the plans.

Re: 2-Pi tower port size??? [message #53539 is a reply to message #53525] Thu, 14 May 2009 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Ok your saying that on a tower or pipe box-plot is not the right software to figure the port size .

Re: 2-Pi tower port size??? [message #53540 is a reply to message #53539] Thu, 14 May 2009 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, not necessarily. It probably is, and I think most of the software out there does a pretty good job modeling. But I also think that real short ports and/or those with large area start to deviate more due to length correction. Insulation has an influence too, as do other factors. The good thing is if you get it close, you're fine because this isn't a place where being spot-on is required or even possible. There are too many parameter shifts in this kind of system.

Re: 2-Pi tower port size??? [message #59307 is a reply to message #53522] Wed, 27 May 2009 13:33 Go to previous message
Mark Andrews is currently offline  Mark Andrews
Chancellor
I just modeled the 2Pi Tower in LSPCad and its spot on 40-42 Hz port res giving an F3 of ca 36/7 Hz.

Lowering the port res frequency does give a wee bit more extension ca 35 cycles (very wee) but the response curve starts to look a bit strange.

40Hz is good - great stuff Wayne.... and yes I really need to get to build my pair - the kits are still in the boxes Wayne packed them in!!

HTH

Mark Andrews
Previous Topic: "Crossover Electronics 101"
Next Topic: 2Pi Towers - larger cabinet size-Wayne can you help?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 08:06:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio