Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Phase question on DE 250 on 4Pi crossover
Phase question on DE 250 on 4Pi crossover [message #53353] Mon, 30 March 2009 17:07 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne, I notice on the 4 Pi crossover(for DE 250 ) that the schematic shows that the black post of DE 250 should be hooked up to the 1+ connection, while the red post of DE 250 should be hooked up to 1-.

Further, I notice that is just the opposite for the same crossover using PSD 2002. Does the DE 250 produce a forward wave when the positive signal is connected to the black post?

I was wondering, as I am using that driver in my Econowave speaker, and will be using it in the 4 PI w/ 2225H. I have found the DE 250 to be more transparent, but not very engaging for lack of a better word. Perhaps I need to flip polarity? Realizing it is already flipped in that second order crossover, so maybe it needs unflipped?

Confused,

Russellc

Re: Phase question on DE 250 on 4Pi crossover [message #53355 is a reply to message #53353] Mon, 30 March 2009 17:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's right, the acoustic phase of the DE250 is reversed with respect to the PSD2002. I'm not sure if the diaphragm is physically moving in the opposite direction of if it is an acoustic thing, but I designed the crossovers with actual measurements, so I am confident in the results.

As an aside, most compression drivers are wired so that positive voltage results in negative pressure. The diaphragm moves "forward" out of the gap, which is away from you when looking down the throat of the device.

Previous Topic: New pi2 studios
Next Topic: crossover for 7 pi and B&C DE 250
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 13 21:03:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout