Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Active crossover for 3Pi
Active crossover for 3Pi [message #53344] Sat, 28 March 2009 20:32 Go to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
Hi Wayne,

I have read about the opamp implementation of active crossover for 4Pi. Is that suitable for 3Pi as well? Have anyone designed a Kit?

Thanks.

Regards,
Jacky

Re: Active crossover for 3Pi [message #53346 is a reply to message #53344] Sun, 29 March 2009 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, it would work just fine for the three or four π speakers. There was a PCB available from Gary Kaufmann back when I did the Spice model, so hopefully you can still get them from him.
Re: Active crossover for 3Pi [message #53348 is a reply to message #53346] Sun, 29 March 2009 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
So that is the tube implementation? Is there an opamp circuit as well? I prefer solid state so I don't need a high voltage supply ...
Thanks.

Re: Active crossover for 3Pi [message #53349 is a reply to message #53348] Sun, 29 March 2009 13:06 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Op-amps are extremely easy to work with. You can design an active crossover with them using the design tool below. Choose a nice Burr-Brown chip for best results. I'm using 627 and 404 chips in a sub crossover I'm working on right now, and there are other op-amps that work very well too. The 627 is good when used in circuits with unity or low gain, like active crossovers.

For the four π crossover, I've found best results with 3rd-order slopes ( 3 poles) on both the woofer and tweeter. The LP transfer function for the woofer has a little bit lower knee frequency, about 1.3kHz. The tweeter is a little higher. I suggest using a potentiometer in both circuits to dial it in. You'll also need to provide CD equalization with an RC network.

Previous Topic: V.C . Compresson driver
Next Topic: New pi2 studios
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 08:37:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout