Home » Audio » Movies & Music » We need new music recommendations
We need new music recommendations [message #5316] Wed, 14 July 2004 10:24 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I will start. The new Benny Golson soundtrack for the movie the terminal is excellent Jazz, sweet and deep at the same time accessible for non-jazz people. Give it a listen.

Re: We need new music recommendations [message #5317 is a reply to message #5316] Wed, 14 July 2004 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm really wanting to see that movie. Still haven't done it yet but maybe this weekend. Or now that I know the soundtrack is good, maybe I'll wait 'til it comes out on CD and buy it then.

As you know, I've always liked art rock, like Genesis, Yes, King Krimson and Gentle Giant. I remember that you and I share those groups as favorites. But I'll bet you're just like me in that you've heard everything each of them has done about a zillion times. It's still great, but I've just heard it so many times.

Now days, I find myself listening to a lot of "good times" music. It isn't as technical, but it's upbeat and fun. Things like 50's music, especially stuff that has cars and girls and hanging out on Saturday night as the themes.

In the late 90's, there was a period where I really liked a lot of what was popular then. The Wallflowers, Sarah McLachlin, Verve Pipe, Alanis Morissette, Matchbox 20, Our Lady Peace and Tool. You have to hear Tool's version of No Quarter. Oasis was good except I think they had a bit much to drinbk and twisted the knobs a bit much in the editing room so everything sounds distorted. Even Metallica and Nine Inch Nails sort of grew on me after a while. I didn't think much of' em at first, but they grew on me.

That's sort of a random list of stuff I liked in that period. Here's another artist I really like, probably you've already checked 'em out but maybe not. Did you ever hear Oingo Boingo? That's Danny Elfman's band, and he is the person responsible for so many of the movie soundtracks in the last decade. His soundtracks have a specific "sound," as does Oingo Boingo. Boingo is kind of jazz/rock meets big band, lots of horns. Elfman's soundtracks include Batman, Edward Scissorhands, and dozens of others. His specialty seems to be surreal action movies and his soundtracks fit them, having a sort of surreal orchestral quality.

Lately, I've been introduced to some new sounds from people bringing them to listen to my speakers. Of course, Diana Krall is one that a lot of people play. Frank Sinatra is a favorite, and so is Dean Martin. Natalie Cole, Nat King Cole's daughter, is nice too. There's a bunch in that category that really sound nice and relaxing, perfect for a dinner party. I've even found myself beginning to listen to some of this alone. A couple that Akhilesh introduced me to are the Silk Road Project and Yo Yo Ma. He does some very interesting music. Check it out.

Re: We need new music recommendations [message #5318 is a reply to message #5317] Wed, 14 July 2004 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Nice and thorough post. First up the Terminal soundtrack is on cd and very well recorded I may add. The cross-over classical stuff for me is still an unproven style, I find some of it interesting and some cliche' and boring. Allow me to indulge in some expression of confusion. It has lately begun to seem that our thing is diverting down two distinct paths. One group seems to favor deep involvement with the equipment, mostly amps and speakers. The posts from this group are very knowledgable and useful, but I find; and if you check the archives I think you would agree, that the music that does get mentioned is mostly pop-jazz or light classical and even then is usually the same ten or fifteen pieces. Ocassionaly rock; either older or one or two new groups might be mentioned. I know it's boring listening to other people yap on about their taste in music but where else do you learn? Now the equipment that is discussed in these forumn's is very sophisticated and musical; what I personally considor to be more like musical instruments than electronics. The ability to tie the music in with the reports written about the equipment is of crucial importance, at least to me. Not to mention the sheer enjoyment of listening to good music on this great stuff we build and talk about.
I once read that if your equipment cost more than your software you are a certified audiophile. Shudder to think! The various types of music are so vast and deep that there is always something new to be discovered. So cars and girls? Like what, because I have always loved the Beach Boys "She's so fine my 409", Jan and Dean, my point being what are you listening to; which albums and cd's and what sounds good on your system? Here's one, Cousteau's first album, try the second cut on those Pi 7's it's on Palm records about 2 yrs. ago.
Anyone listen to hawian slack key guitar? I have tried some and would like to know more. The remaster of the White Album I mentioned prviously has me absolutely mesmerized. On Long Time, when in the chorus Paul chimes in with John on the beat I was floored, never heard their harmony sound so liquid good and it has deepened my understanding of their magic. Everyone needs to hear this record. Thanks for listening to this BS,J.R.(The new Mettallica sounds real good, anyone heard that yet?)

Re: We need new music recommendations [message #5319 is a reply to message #5318] Wed, 14 July 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi John,

There's some catchy Stray Cat's tunes on the 50's themes of fast cars, fast girls and sloe gin. And of course the fun surf songs you mentioned. Some of my favorites are "409", "Little Deuce Coupe", "Fun, Fun, Fun", "Hot Rod Lincoln", "Rock this Town", "Sexy and 17", "Stray Cat Strut", "Look at that Cadillac" and "Built for Speed". That selection makes a fun cruising tape or CD.

Wayne

Machines and Music [message #5320 is a reply to message #5318] Wed, 14 July 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi John,

I made two replies, just for fun. Last one was on the car tunes and this one on the thing you brought up about audiophiles and their musical tastes.

I've noticed what you described too, but not only do I see it in others but also in myself. Some people have more music source material than I do, and some less. Same with audio equipment. I have exactly as much of both as I could afford.

I've found myself occasionally listening to the equipment rather than the music. Sometimes I select material specifically to listen for nuances in the equipment or to demonstrate something to someone else. This is usually when I have something new and I am sort of testing it out. In those moments, I am doing critical listening with emphasis on the equipment.

This is mostly true of new loudspeaker designs but also when I purchase new amps or other equipment. There are usually a few weeks or maybe a couple months when I am working on something or evaluating it. During that time, I am hypercritical and sensitive to its performance. I listen to familiar material that tends to show me weaknesses in certain areas. And at these times, I am totally listening to the machine. The source material is the baseline and the equipment is the subject.

Most times, it's the other way around. When I have a system completed, I sort of compartmentalize it and don't ever look back at it technically. After I am satisfied with a design or a piece of equipment, I rarely listen to it the same way again. From then on, I listen to the subject material and don't even notice the equipment. I cease to analyze it or listen for strengths and weaknesses. I have already analyzed the system and am confident in its performance. I am comfortable that I can reach full power and put it through its paces without a failure. I can expect it to sound right. So after I have completed a design, I can forget it and sit back and enjoy it. The equipment becomes the baseline and the source material becomes the subject. This is when I am able to really enjoy the sound.

Wayne

Re: Machines and Music [message #5321 is a reply to message #5320] Thu, 15 July 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Now that is a good explanation. Found that to be the case with my own observations, once it's right you relax. Then I start looking to try new music and that leads to the new equipment and on and on.

Want New Music? Try Old Music In Different Genres [message #5326 is a reply to message #5316] Mon, 19 July 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Until the early 80's I listened to nothing but rock and had a crisis -- rock was becoming boring. The solution: try something different. It turns out there's a whole world out there. I still love my old rock (still have and listen to my old albums from the late 60's - 70's) and some new, but I've come to love all sorts of stuff -- classical, opera, Indian and other "world" music, early blues/country.

The are plenty of classical and opera primers, so I'll leave that alone, but a few other starter suggestions:

Indian -- Anthology of World Music: North Indian Classical Music; Anything by Ali Akbar Khan

Pakistan -- Anything by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Old Time Country/Folk/Blues -- Anthology of American Folk Music (the Harry Smith edition); The Bristol Sessions; Times Ain't Like They Used to Be [start with Volume II]

Happy listening!

Re: Want New Music? Try Old Music In Different Genres [message #5328 is a reply to message #5326] Mon, 19 July 2004 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I love the sitar and some Indian music is very interesting to me. I've had occasion to work around several really good people from India and there is a lot about their culture that is interesting to me, including their music.

Re: Want New Music? Try Old Music In Different Genres [message #5331 is a reply to message #5326] Wed, 21 July 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Ever hear that collaboration between Nusrat and Eddie Van Halen? What a song! I think it was featured in the soundtrack of Dead Man Walking the movie. I can only play his music when no one else is around. The harry Smith is some good stuff, I listen and in my humble opinion I hear that those people really put something on the line each day of their lives and it shows in the stunning depth of thier music and lyrics. We need some recomendations for roots Reggae stuff, such as the Mighty Sparrow, which examples are the best?

Blind Willie Johnson, there's someone who has walked the walk!

Try Mosaic Records They do a great job.

Blind Willie Johnson [message #5332 is a reply to message #5331] Wed, 21 July 2004 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Blind Willie Johnson is a force of nature! You've inspired me to put on The Complete Blind Willie Johnson (2d CDs, Sony/Columbia Legacy). I was stunned the first time I heard him, and I continue to be amazed and awed every time.

I can't help you on the Reggae side. I enjoy it, but it's never really grabbed me by the throat, and I'm stuck at the "greatest hits" level ("The Harder They Come", Bob Marley and the like).

Previous Topic: "Punch-Drunk Love" not bad...
Next Topic: Almost forgot J.S. Bach died on this day 1750
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 09 08:41:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout