Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Surrounds to complement 7pi and 4pi HT
Surrounds to complement 7pi and 4pi HT [message #53150] Fri, 30 January 2009 18:33 Go to next message
coctostan is currently offline  coctostan
Chancellor
I'm planning on building L/R 7pi's and a center 4pi. I would like surrounds that mate up well to the pi front speakers. Commercial horn surrounds are hard to find. Short of going with some JBL Pro's the only horn based surrounds I can find are Klipsch's.

Has anybody mixed pi's with Klipsch surrounds?

Any other suggestions (1pi, 2pi, anything else)?

Re: Surrounds to complement 7pi and 4pi HT [message #53152 is a reply to message #53150] Fri, 30 January 2009 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd use one π speakers for surrounds. In fact, as soon as I get some shelves made for the living room, that's what I'll be using. I've tried them on makeshift stands and it's a perfect match for four π's or seven π's as mains, with a pair of three π subwoofers doing VLF and mode-smoothing duty.

Re: Surrounds to complement 7pi and 4pi HT [message #53153 is a reply to message #53152] Fri, 30 January 2009 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The 1pi's will be much better on my budget.

Could you email me the plans?

If I maintain the correct box volume and port spec's, could I make them shallower and possibly angle them down a bit from the corner where the ceiling and wall meet? I would also maintain the same baffle width if necessary. This is for a work-in-progress dedicated theater and I would prefer to have them blend in a bit.

Thanks,
Max

You've got mail! [message #53157 is a reply to message #53153] Sat, 31 January 2009 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Of course, any modifications will affect performance in some way. However, the one π and two π model speakers are perhaps less sensitive to changes since they are not constant directivity speakers like the three π, four π and cornerhorn models. Speakers designed for uniform directivity can be adversely affected by movements in the positions of the drivers with respect to each other, so design changes have to be carefully considered.

You have a little more wiggle room on more traditional two-way speakers with first-order crossovers like the one π and two π models. Keep the box volume and tuning frequency the same and you can expect bass performance to be pretty much the same. Don't make one dimension significantly longer than the others though, at least not without further analysis. This can introduce pipe modes that should be considered and possibly mitigated.

Another thing, even though baffle position isn't as critical as the larger models, I'd still maintain the same woofer/tweeter physical relationship as shown in the plans. Keep the tweeter close to the woofer, and on the same plane vertically (one on top of the other) or very close to it. You can offset both drivers to one side or another if you wish, but don't offset the tweeter centerline with respect to the woofer centerline. I've done some speakers that way, but never more than 1/4λ at the crossover point. I prefer the vertical nulls to be above and below the speaker, not offset to the sides.

Re: You've got mail! [message #53159 is a reply to message #53157] Sat, 31 January 2009 17:53 Go to previous message
Chancellor
I got the email, thanks.

I will maintain the baffle layout, volume, port specs, but make it fit my room a bit better. We'll see what I come up with.

Previous Topic: Speaker kit price
Next Topic: Seating
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 11:36:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout