Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Dynaco st-70 tube amp by triode elec?
Dynaco st-70 tube amp by triode elec? [message #53138] Mon, 26 January 2009 20:32 Go to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Would you advise any one to buy this amp for using with three or four pi
speakers ? it cost around 700.00 in kit form. Thanks!!!

Re: Dynaco st-70 tube amp by triode elec? [message #53141 is a reply to message #53138] Tue, 27 January 2009 12:56 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I haven't listened to that amp for any length of time, just occasionally at meetings. It sounds good and is well regarded. However, to me, audio gear is best evaluated over a period of time. I can always measure something to quantify its performance but there is another metric that is much harder to quantify. I find some pieces just grow on me and I like them more than others, and this is probably more true with amplifiers than any other component.

I can usually tell whether I like a speaker driver fairly quickly, even long term fatigue can be evaluated in a weekend. I can judge a CD player pretty quickly too. But amps have to be lived with for a while. I find myself drawn to certain systems, and a lot of times that has to do with the amp. The trouble is, that makes it hard to really evaluate an amplifier before I own it.

Previous Topic: Three pi hemoholtz freq.
Next Topic: K-33E good for subwoofer ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 21:58:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout