Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Help with 4Pi box (newbie questions)
Help with 4Pi box (newbie questions) [message #52934] Wed, 10 December 2008 13:36 Go to next message
reguax is currently offline  reguax
Chancellor
Hi everyone

I'm starting to build a pair of 4Pi for my 300B DIY amplifier (my current 88db speakers are not tube friendly at all)

Unfortunately, I'm a complete newbie to speakers and it's likely that the guy who will actually build the boxes is a wood worker, without any knowledge about speakers.

I have the 4Pi plans, but since I have never built a speaker box before, a lot of questions arise about the internal structure.

please please, would anyone post a picture of the cabinet's internal structure? I have searched through the forum, but most of the pictures are kind of 'expired'

I'm mainly interested in the horn and port area.
is the tweeter tied to anything? is it just attached to the horn?
The port is made of the same material as the box? is there any space between the port and the closest side of the cabinet? or does the port starts where the cabinet side ends?

A simple picture would solve this questions

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help with 4Pi box (newbie questions) [message #52935 is a reply to message #52934] Wed, 10 December 2008 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We put a cross-brace in the cabinet between the woofer and tweeter horn. It spans front to back and side to side. It is usually made from wood falloff, scrap material left over from cutting out the cabinet. You can also use solid 1x2 wood stock or something like that.

The port is also made from the same wood that the cabinet is made from. It is like an internal box open at the baffle and through to the inside of the cabinet. Make sure the dimensions are right, and the 10" length is from the front of the baffle to the exit inside the cabinet.

Other than that, it's a simple cabinet to build. As long as it is structurally solid and doesn't have cracks at the seams, it will work fine.

Re:Some pix [message #52941 is a reply to message #52935] Wed, 10 December 2008 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The port is just a 4 sided box, open at both ends.

Have your friend make it to exact size but the cut-out in the baffle a litle smaller so after it's glued on he can use a flush trim bit to make the baffle cut-out neatly flush with the port.

The brace in the second pic is not a substitute for 1x4 or 2x4 pieces glued directly to the inside of the cabinet, then cross-braced. It helps with bracing but moreso with getting the box perfectly square during glue-up.

Re:Some pix [message #52942 is a reply to message #52941] Wed, 10 December 2008 21:32 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks very much for those photos, Bill!

Previous Topic: What Thickness Baltic Birch To Order For 2 Pi Floorstanding
Next Topic: higher cut-off for 7pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 17 23:15:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout