Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Two Towers tweeters
Two Towers tweeters [message #52436] Tue, 12 August 2008 01:04 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne, I've been using the Two Towers nearly exclusively with the 12B4 amp since I got the cabinets together two years ago--they sound quite good together. This weekend I hooked up the NAD BEE amp to them and was really suprised with the high end. It was somewhat harsh most of the time (way past the sparkle zone) and I found I was having to roll the high freq. off on the amp almost all the way with every CD I put through. The CDP is a NAD BEE as well, and I've never had this be as bad with some of my other speakers. The amp/CDP combo tends to lean toward the high freq. side a little and I've always rolled it down just a hair. One thing about the NAD tone controls is that they do a very good job of just effecting the very upper/lower end, not like the old tone controls of the past. Is there anything I can try to "tame" the tweeters just a little?

Re: Two Towers tweeters [message #52439 is a reply to message #52436] Tue, 12 August 2008 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can always attenuated them a bit, perhaps with padding or even with a bit of shunt capacitance to rolloff the extreme HF even more. But I think I'd look at the source gear because the treble is not excessive on this speaker, in fact, it's down about a decibel. See response below:

Re: Two Towers tweeters [message #52443 is a reply to message #52439] Tue, 12 August 2008 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The source gear is definitely part of the problem. Although I don't have this problem with the Polk Monitors and ART arrays using the NAD, so some of it is the speaker. Quite possibly the room is a big factor as well as it's in a bedroom, similar to when I listened to your Towers, and I may be losing a lot to the bed

Re: Two Towers tweeters [message #52445 is a reply to message #52443] Tue, 12 August 2008 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

One clue as to what's happening is the ART arrays use the same tweeter as the two π tower. The ART arrays have recessed upper midrange around 2kHz, what I usually call the overtone region. It's the edge of stringed instruments and the rasp of voices. So maybe that's what you're hearing because the two π tower has a little bit higher output in this same area, around 2kHz.

The ART Arrays have a bit higher output around 500Hz to 1kHz, but that sounds more like presence. It's upper midrange, the C above middle C and the octave above that. But the second octave above that is where the the ART Arrays tend to fall off and the two π's tend to rise a bit. That is the real difference in tonal balance between these two speakers, not the tweeter but the upper end of the range covered by the midwoofer(s).

Re: Two Towers tweeters [message #52447 is a reply to message #52445] Wed, 13 August 2008 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
So what values might you suggest to tweak the Xover just to see? I could put a switch to go back and forth to the original xover like Fred has with some of his designs.

Re: Two Towers tweeters [message #52453 is a reply to message #52447] Wed, 13 August 2008 12:09 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might try a larger coil on the woofer, say 1mH or so. Adding a Zobel will also attenuate the top end of the midwoofer's range, so you could try that.

Previous Topic: Live Sound PA speakers
Next Topic: stuffing midhorn back chamber?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 00:26:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio