Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Two Pi Towers... about to start cabinets
Two Pi Towers... about to start cabinets [message #52125] Fri, 16 May 2008 08:25 Go to next message
Mark Andrews is currently offline  Mark Andrews
Chancellor
Hi Wayne.

I am about to start cabinet construction for my Two Pi Tower kits and wondered if there is anything to be gained/lost by making the baffle narrow, with rounded edges, offsetting the tweeter for minimal diffraction and perhaps even going as far as curved sides and a sloping rear panel - keeping the internal volume as per design?

Thanks

Best

Mark

Re: Two Pi Towers... about to start cabinets [message #52126 is a reply to message #52125] Fri, 16 May 2008 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's hard to say what those changes will do. The rounded edges probably won't do anything, so no harm there. Changing dimensions is another story though. The cabinet is tall enough it has standing waves in the bass range. It was designed with Helmholtz models and double checked with Martin King's programs to ensure driver and port placement were optimal to reduce standing wave nodes.

The two π tower measures and sounds very nice as it is. If you change something, I'd suggest measuring the modified speaker to see what you end up with.

To tell the truth, the biggest thing that affects response of towers or stand-mounted speakers isn't cabinet reflections anyway, whether internal or external. The biggest problem is outside the box, it's floor bounce.

Re: Two Pi Towers... about to start cabinets [message #52127 is a reply to message #52126] Fri, 16 May 2008 13:22 Go to previous message
Mark Andrews is currently offline  Mark Andrews
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne - then standard dimensions all the way it is!!

Neat Kits BTW.

Thanks

Mark

Previous Topic: 4 Pi-pro system reference in Manley Stingray amp review
Next Topic: Four-pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 18:41:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio