Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Weak Joint
Weak Joint [message #51878] Thu, 06 March 2008 15:29 Go to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
I am half way through building a 3pi cabinet. But one of the joint has very small gap (I think the MDF is bent slightly and I did not have enough clamp). I am not sure if the joint is strong enough so what should I do? Thanks.

PL Adhesive [message #51879 is a reply to message #51878] Thu, 06 March 2008 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

MDF is pretty inexpensive so if it isn't veneered, you could just start over. On the other hand, you could repair the cabinet by filling the joint with PL adhesive. Force the adhesive in the crack to fill it completely. It will expand slightly as it dries. Then sand it smooth and finish the cabinet with veneer or paint as you originally intended. This adhesive is very strong even when there is a gap between surfaces up to 3/8". I'm sure it will solve your problem.

Re: PL Adhesive [message #51880 is a reply to message #51879] Thu, 06 March 2008 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
Thanks for your suggestion Wayne. That is very useful to know. I think I will keep going and if the joint is bad then I will repair it. The gap is pretty small (less than 0.5mm) and I am not sure if the gap is along the whole width of the seam or just the outter edge. But I know that wood is not in good contact as the adhesive has not squeezed out like they other joints when I clamp them together.

BTW, can PVA glue (titebond II) bridge any gap at all? Or the joint will fail if the wood are not in good contact? Thanks.

Re: PL Adhesive [message #51883 is a reply to message #51880] Fri, 07 March 2008 11:26 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd use PL adhesive to fill a gap. White glue isn't really good for that.

Previous Topic: Omega/DE250 Crossover Wired For BiAmp
Next Topic: cross over
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 17:25:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout