Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studios Question
Studios Question [message #51722] Mon, 14 January 2008 19:09 Go to next message
daniel is currently offline  daniel
Esquire
Hi All,

Are the prices for the Pi Studios (Kit + Cabinet) for a pair or is it for a single speaker?

Also, Would it be a bad idea to lay a 3rd Pi Studio on it's side to act like a center? I do not have to worry about shielding.

Thanks in advance

Re: Studios Question [message #51723 is a reply to message #51722] Mon, 14 January 2008 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Prices are for individual speakers. We do that because some people run an odd number of channels for home theater.

I wouldn't suggest laying any of our speakers with 90x40 horns on their sides. That makes the pattern be tall and thin which isn't what you want.

Interesting... [message #51727 is a reply to message #51723] Tue, 15 January 2008 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Interesting...With such a small picture for the studios, it's hard to tell that the tweeter is in a horn. The small picture makes the tweeter look like a regular dome. Are there any bigger pictures of Studios?

Thanks...

Re: Interesting... [message #51728 is a reply to message #51727] Tue, 15 January 2008 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The one π and two π speakers use soft dome tweeter. The three π and four π speakers use a 90x40 tweeter horn.

So then... [message #51730 is a reply to message #51728] Tue, 15 January 2008 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Can you lay the 2 π bass reflex Studio on it's side?

Thanks for the responses, sorry I was not clear.

Re: So then... [message #51731 is a reply to message #51730] Tue, 15 January 2008 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could do that, yes. I think I'd still prefer the tweeter to be above the woofer, in line or close to in line with it. I don't think there would be room in the box to do this even if you pushed the woofer all the way down on the baffle and the tweeter all the way up though. If it wouldn't fit, you could adjust the box dimensions just enough to make them fit.

The reason I would rather the woofer and tweeter be one above the other on the baffle is this keeps the path lengths the same as you move from side to side. The layout of the one π, two π and two π tower makes everything just right when you are directly in line with the midwoofer. In this position, you are the same distance from the woofer as you are from the tweeter. You can move from side to side and still be the same distance from woofer as you are from the tweeter. If you reorient the speaker so the woofer and tweeter are side by side, then when you move left of the speaker you're closer to one and when you move right you're closer to the other. This does weird things to the sound because response changes as you move through the room. So reflections from different angles have a different tonal balance too.

Thanks for the Info :-) (nt) [message #51746 is a reply to message #51731] Thu, 17 January 2008 17:18 Go to previous message
Esquire
asdf

Previous Topic: Tower 2 Plans
Next Topic: alpha 10 /psd2002?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 11 15:27:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio