Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » crown amp comments
crown amp comments [message #51700] Thu, 10 January 2008 17:18 Go to next message
tmoore is currently offline  tmoore
Chancellor
Does anyone have experience or comments on the least expensive crown amps? I like the sound of my 125w McCormack on the pi 4's but was wondering if the crowns would give that last bit of punch.

Re: crown amp comments [message #51701 is a reply to message #51700] Thu, 10 January 2008 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've had great luck with Micro-Techs and Macro-Techs over the years but haven't tried their other lines. I can definitely recommend the Micro-Tech and Macro-Tech amps. They're powerful, clean sounding and durable.

thanks, any pi one kits available? [message #51703 is a reply to message #51701] Thu, 10 January 2008 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tmoore is currently offline  tmoore
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne, I was listening to a band at a local club the other night and was thinking that the 4's were as close to sounding like a live band as I have ever been able to get at home. I'm still lacking some "punch" and "clarity" so I was wondering if an amp with a "pro" lineage might be just what I needed. The pendulum is swinging back from flea powered SET listening to "wake the neighbors rockin" and I am amazed that all of my Pi's (Tower 2's, Theater 4's and 6's) sound great either way!

BTW, do you have any One PI kits ready to go? I am ready to build a pair to serve as replacements for the Thiels as rear surrounds.

Yes [message #51706 is a reply to message #51703] Fri, 11 January 2008 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We have one π kits in stock.

Re: crown amp comments [message #51718 is a reply to message #51700] Mon, 14 January 2008 11:15 Go to previous message
Bill Wassilk is currently offline  Bill Wassilk
Chancellor
I'm not sure what you mean by punch, but I've ran there D-series, Micro and Macro Tech series and the CTS series. And all of them sound great on Bass-reflex speakers. I haven't ran there cheaper amps yet, but the only thing is you can't go under 4 ohms per channel on them, which wouldn't matter if you're just running a set of pi 4's.

Don't put QSC's on them because they'll sound kind of thin, meaning not real well rounded bass freq., there to sterile sounding IMO. I rate my Pro amps like this, Crown/Crest tied for first, 2nd QSC, then Carver PM series 3rd. That's out of the American brands.

HTH
Bill W.

Previous Topic: seven pi
Next Topic: Stage Four and Seven Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 08:55:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers