Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Frank Zappa survey
Frank Zappa survey [message #5155] Fri, 02 April 2004 20:25 Go to next message
rick is currently offline  rick
Baron

Any of you all like the peevish stylizations of FZ? My experience is actually rather limited. But. The two I am familiar with. Apostrophie, and, Joe's Garage,(particularly the last installment) are really great conceptual and instrumental satireishenestabulanisc-ment.... isms. Anybody like any other of his rather large catalogue of music? I think he was a fine guitarist if anything.

Re: Frank Zappa survey [message #5156 is a reply to message #5155] Sat, 03 April 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I always thought Zappa was very inventive and talented. All of his music is intricate and detailed, but he always seemed to have fun with it too. It's like he must have known how much of a perfectionist he was, so he had fun with it. I don't know if that's the case of not, but it is how I imagine he must have been.

Re: Frank Zappa survey [message #5157 is a reply to message #5155] Sun, 04 April 2004 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Rick,

You've opened a real can of worms here. Whenever people ask for opinions about the "best" Zappa albums they get a wide divergence of suggestions because he produced so many different kinds of music -- the early silly yet brutal "comedy" Zappa, the sophisticated jazz/rock Zappa, the Flo and Eddie Zappa, the guitar Zappa, etc.

By way of background (and giving away my age), I stumbled onto We're Only In It For The Money in about 1969, when I was in 9th Grade. I was stunned. I bought (and still have and play!) every album that came out thereafter (and before!) and attended at least one concert every time he came through NYC -- whether at the Fillmore East, the Palladium or the Felt Forum -- until his death.

When it comes to suggesting an album or albums, it's very difficult because my associations date back to 1969 or 1975 or whenever -- associations that will mean nothing to you. That said, I'll suggest a few, pointing out my biases. Take it with a pound -- not just a grain -- of salt.

Early Zappa/Mothers -- We're Only In It For the Money (1968). A hilarious yet brutal take on American Culture. If you like this, try Freak Out and Absolutely Free.

Early "Jazz/Rock" Zappa -- Hot Rats (1969). If you like this, try Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo.

Early Comedy/Guitar/Flo and Eddie Zappa -- Live At The Fillmore East June 1971. A personal favorite because I attended several of these. Incredibly nasty skits (warning: some indecent but hilarious material) and amazing and amazingly sophisticated music. If you like Flo and Eddie, try Just Another Band from LA (1972).

Middle Zappa: Apostrophe (1974), which you cited. Just a great all-round album. FWIW, probably my most-played album during college. If you liked this, I'd suggest Over-Nite Sensation (1973), One Size Fits All (1975), Roxy and Elsewhere (1974) and (a little more distantly) Zappa in New York 1978.

A Bit Later: Joe's Garage Parts I and II (2 albums, 1979), which you also mentioned -- Both biting social commentary and heavenly guitar. "Watermelon in Easter Hay" (from Part II) contains one of the great guitar solos ever played. If you like the "guitar" Zappa (and live his guitar solos were simply overwhelming) there are several guitar solo collections such as "Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar".

Happy listening!

e

Very nice job with the sub... [message #5158 is a reply to message #5157] Tue, 06 April 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Like most slashers my biggest downfall is no patience with finishing. It takes a lot of skill and a delicate touch. You apparently have both.

Re: Frank Zappa survey [message #5160 is a reply to message #5157] Tue, 06 April 2004 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rick is currently offline  rick
Baron
My God!

You are the definitive Zappa source. Thank you for all the insightful suggestions and historical context. I envy you having experienced his music personally. Foolish me. Your summations of his vast body of work will be of great help to me. Because, you know... "my python boots are too tight. Whaaaaaahh. I could'nt get em off las night. Twaaaaa-dudlempf, A week went by,waaarwump, an now it july, waadudleudleump. I finally got em off an my girlfriend cried... You got stink foot, doontdodoontdoontdooon, stink foot darlin, doontdodoontdooontdododoodleoont. Your stink foot.....puts a hurt on my nose.Twaaaatwaaaatwaaaatwaaa." What fabulous stuff! Oh, and dynamite job on that sub. "Herrrre fidooo, nice little puppy. Fetch me the slippers."

Re: Frank Zappa survey [message #5161 is a reply to message #5160] Tue, 06 April 2004 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Rick,

I was very lucky to have stumbled onto FZ at an impressionable age. I am firmly convinced that early exposure to FZ opened my ears so that, decades later, I now love all sorts of music. The present day composer refuses to die!

Have a great time listening!

Thumb's up to Elektratig! [message #5208 is a reply to message #5157] Tue, 20 April 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
You said by & large what I wanted to say! Just wanna ad that I think Zappa was a great composer, probably bigger in that field than most people, even his fans, recognize. But maybe the lyrics tends to blur peoples view?

Fair Comment on the Lyrics [message #5211 is a reply to message #5208] Tue, 20 April 2004 15:25 Go to previous message
Grand Master
Thanks! It is hard to take seriously a bizarre rock musician who put out albums of "comedy music".

Previous Topic: young females
Next Topic: 45's and a Boy and His Dog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 00:57:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout