Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Who likes slide guitar?
Who likes slide guitar? [message #5145] Sat, 20 March 2004 14:55 Go to next message
rick is currently offline  rick
Baron
For me slide guitar generally is, "a little dab-ul-do ya", but a really good guitarist. I mean. Really good! Well they can take it into another realm. Here's my list. Anybody know of Ron Thompson? This diminutive guy is still a slide slingin som-bi*** that is possibly, a yet to be discovered element of the periodic table. How about Jimmy Thackery? When he straps on the flying-V, be prepaired to be scorched. And Joanna Conners. A woman that can play with any man, toe to toe, mono-y-mono. These people have played the blues circuit for many years and are still at it, all be it, in the case of Thompson, limiting gigs in the west coast now. Well worth checking out if you abide in slide.

Steve Howe [message #5146 is a reply to message #5145] Sat, 20 March 2004 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I love what Steve Howe does with a slide guitar. He uses it to make a surrealistic sound, using just a touch of reverb to make it sound like a Theremin or something. Steve Howe is the guitarist for the Art Rock band, Yes.

Re: Who likes slide guitar? [message #5147 is a reply to message #5145] Sun, 21 March 2004 06:24 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Have you tried Rory Block? Excellent slide player, She's a little more country blues but she does an imitation of Charley Patton that is incredible. A couple Robert Johnson tunes, "Love IN Vain" that are really nice. Mama's Blues is a good set I think it's on Rounder. Nice bluesy voice too and she doesn't try to force her voice like a lot of the females do. Joanna Conner is good, high energy stuff. I aleays thought Bonnie Raitt in her younger days played a good slide although a little repititious she was always tasteful.

Previous Topic: The topic is movies or documentaries that sound great
Next Topic: Doctor Detroit!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 11:12:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout