Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater Sevens too small large for our place..dang.
Theater Sevens too small large for our place..dang. [message #51355] Mon, 20 August 2007 00:37 Go to next message
Ed White is currently offline  Ed White
Baron
Ok gang...what happens if you move to a place where there are no corners available for a Theater 7 corner horn? The cabinets are almost complete, except the midhorns. Is there a way to use the parts for a traditional speaker..not a corner model, or do I sell the stuff and start from scratch? Our new place has no room for cornerhorns. I would sell the setup and consider a smaller set for our new place. Stuff happens, you know? I hate to do it, but there's no room for thes guys here.

Thanks!

Ed White

Re: Theater Sevens too small large for our place..dang. [message #51356 is a reply to message #51355] Mon, 20 August 2007 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
got space to build a shed out back? every guy needs a shed....

Re: Theater Sevens too small large for our place..dang. [message #51359 is a reply to message #51355] Mon, 20 August 2007 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might make the bass bin shaped like a Theater Series four π. That way you can use the speakers in places that don't have corners. I would still prefer them in corners, with the bass bin, midhorn and tweeter all angled 45° inward. That's a magic setup. But if you don't have corners, that's not an option. Just place them against the wall, so you have some boundary loading.

Re: Theater Sevens too small large for our place..dang. [message #51363 is a reply to message #51355] Tue, 21 August 2007 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi Ed,
I am looking at your problem, and do you really have a small living room? or just no corners.
You can use small cabinets (furniture) as wings for the speakers... or L shaped furniture with the wall, no? another way of using it would be in the angle of the wall with the ceiling (maybe non sense) or a third option rotating the bass box 90º laying it on the floor (floor+one wall) with the high frequency speakers on top leaving space beyind for the bass to escape.

Sevens on their side [message #51370 is a reply to message #51363] Sun, 26 August 2007 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Warrick is currently offline  Warrick
Esquire
I was toying with the idea of turning a Stage Seven on its side with the mid horn and tweeter horn in front of the cabinet so this could be used as a centre channel for a HT.
Would the be problems with this ?
Would the mid/tweeter horn need to be directed towards the listening position ??
Is this at all a viable option as I am trying to keep the height to a minimum as this is below my screen.

Regards

Warrick

Re: Sevens on their side [message #51371 is a reply to message #51370] Sun, 26 August 2007 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
(It) Is going to be a new design.
Check Wayne notes about vertical alignment. I guess it is possible unless someone says otherwise because of xover frequency or something else. You probably will lose a little bass. I am not sure of Wayne's approval, afterall it's a PiSpeaker. (You) Should check max. distance between speaker drivers also. I am not sure about the phase on the low frequency xover/speakers if it is ok or not since they (mid/tweet) will be advanced/forward. Overall I guess you have some work to do.

Re: Sevens on their side [message #51372 is a reply to message #51371] Mon, 27 August 2007 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I assume the idea is to put the seven on the floor, so it is in the floor/wall junction. That would be OK for the bass bin, not eighth-space from a trihedral corner, but quarter-space from two boundaries. It will have a smidge less bass, as dB said, but it would be fine. What I wouldn't want is the midrange and tweeter to be lying on their side too. I would probably move them up a foot or two on maybe a stand or something. You won't have the magic of corner-loading, but you'll have a really good center channel.

Re: Sevens on their side [message #51373 is a reply to message #51372] Tue, 28 August 2007 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Warrick is currently offline  Warrick
Esquire

I didn't want to put the mid horn or tweeter on their side more like the picture above, I did a quickie in PS. Do you see any problems doing this, should the mid horn and tweeter be directed at the seating area or left at 45 degrees ?
Your advice is greatly appreciated Wayne

Regards

Warrick

Re: Sevens on their side [message #51374 is a reply to message #51373] Tue, 28 August 2007 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks good. Point the midrange and tweeter straight into the listening area. They'll give good coverage with a 90° pattern.

Re: Theater Sevens too small large for our place..dang. [message #51381 is a reply to message #51355] Sat, 01 September 2007 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
newjerseybt is currently offline  newjerseybt
Chancellor
Idea?

Can't you make your own pair of portable corners out of 1" AC plywood and veneer them?

I am not sure if the portable corners will allow the drivers to load properly. Wayne?

Previous Topic: Near field monitors...
Next Topic: I just completed my Theater Four..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 10 07:24:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio