Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » JBL 2226 vs EV EVX-155
JBL 2226 vs EV EVX-155 [message #51300] Mon, 30 July 2007 18:18 Go to next message
Matt Presley is currently offline  Matt Presley
Chancellor
I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on how the Electro Voice EVX-155 measures up to the JBL 2226. Spec and output wise they are both very similar according to their manufacturer data and WINISD simulations. Overall it seems that the JBL 2226 wins by a nose when it comes to output and distortion characteristics; though I'm sure the EVX-155 is a good part too. The reason I ask is because both seem to be at the top of the heap for quality woofers.

Wayne, I'm especially curious about your opinion here. I know you have very good reasons for choosing the parts you do for your different models. I know JBL has their Symmertical Field Geometry and Vented Gap Cooling as well as a shorting ring. EV uses something called HeatWick and a shorting ring as well. So why choose the JBL 2226; or I guess I should say why not the EVX-155?

-Matt

Re: JBL 2226 vs EV EVX-155 [message #51301 is a reply to message #51300] Tue, 31 July 2007 08:29 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The EV heatwick is something like my cooling plug. Lots of loudspeaker manufacturers are beginning to work on reducing thermal buildup in the pole piece from radiated heat. Motor core cooling plugs reduce thermal compression, stabilize electro-mechanical parameters over a greater operating range and make the speaker more robust.

Properly sized shorting rings are very good at reducing distortion from midbass frequencies up. However, bear in mind that the shorting ring must be carefully sized and positioned to exactly counteract flux modulation by inducing the opposite and exactly equal force. This is not trivial, and so some shorting rings are better than others.

That said, I have only casual experience with EV drivers. I have designed very few that used them. The ones I have worked with sounded good, but I still think I liked the JBL's better. Hard to say if that was "prejudicial" from long time preference or not.

Previous Topic: Pi speakers for Home theatre
Next Topic: Wood for Mechanical Music Instruments
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 03:56:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout