Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Seven progress at last
Pi Seven progress at last [message #51267] Sun, 22 July 2007 17:02 Go to next message
Tim Barnes is currently offline  Tim Barnes
Baron

It took a while, but I'm finally making progress - the mid-horns are built, and the bass cabs are cut out, but not yet assembled. I made my first ever attempt at veneering yesterday - using the easy method with pre-sticky walnut and improvised tools - so far so good.

The mid-horns are finally clean enough to come inside - I prefer to do the veneering where it's clean.

I'm pre-veneering the front panels, and I may also pre-veneer the tops of the bass horns as it will be more difficult to apply sufficient pressure once they are assembled.

Still a couple of weekends before I can fire them up!

Re: Pi Seven progress at last [message #51268 is a reply to message #51267] Sun, 22 July 2007 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron

Sorry about the image link - this one should work...

tim

Re: Pi Seven progress at last [message #51269 is a reply to message #51268] Sun, 22 July 2007 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks awesome, Tim!

Keep us posted!

Re: Pi Seven progress at last [message #51307 is a reply to message #51267] Fri, 03 August 2007 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron

More progress...here are the empty shells standing up together! The good news is that my long-suffering wife didn't throw me out when she saw the size!

The mids are almost ready for drivers to be installed. I need to finish the veneering of the rim of the horn, to install a sealed pathway for the mid-horn wiring, and to install the removable backs. The bass horns are done except for a bit of veneer and installation of the drivers. I'll start with the treble horns sans trim, but I'm planning a walnut surround and bracket for them.

If all goes well, I should be listening before the end of the weekend!

Thanks again to Wayne for all his help and of course the original design.

tim

Wiring the crossover [message #51308 is a reply to message #51307] Sat, 04 August 2007 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Wayne:

I'm not altogether sure of the best way to install the crossover. My inclination is to keep it external so I can tweak and also to keep it clear of vibration, but I've been fiddling with the lengths of wire you provided, and I'm not sure what you had in mind in terms of the location of the crossover, as both the woofer and tweeter wires are short, while the mid-horn wire is longer.

What's the best way of running wire in and out of an enclosure? I assume I could go through the bass port, but there's no port in the mid-horn, so I guess I need to drill a hole and then seal it in some way?

I remember you saying that you set yours up so you can disassemble them for moving - did you use the stock (kit) wiring, or did you do something else?

Thanks again,
tim

Re: Wiring the crossover [message #51310 is a reply to message #51308] Sat, 04 August 2007 09:11 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I suggest putting all the crossover components in a small wood box with connectors for the bass, midrange and tweeter. That makes the cleanest looking install.

Nice looking cabinets, by the way!

Previous Topic: A rotary woofer?
Next Topic: A project I thought you'd like, Wayne...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 15:56:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio