Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 16ohm driver for 7Pi
16ohm driver for 7Pi [message #51183] Tue, 19 June 2007 00:08 Go to next message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
Hi Wayne.

I got a couple of Altec 902 16ohm drives I would like to use instead of the original Eminence PSD-2002 drivers.
But I have build the original crossovers with Jantzen foil inductors and Jantzen caps, and would like to reuse these quality crossovers.

Can I just put a 15-16ohm resistor in parallel with the driver, or is there another way to make the crossover work with minimal replacement of parts.
Maybe a redesign of the l-pad circuit.

Regards
Kim

Re: 16ohm driver for 7Pi [message #51184 is a reply to message #51183] Tue, 19 June 2007 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I haven't worked with those drivers, so I can't tell you specifically how much padding is required or if they are even suitable for this application. I expect they would be, but would feel better if I knew for sure. Still, here are some posts that will put you on the right path:

Re: 16ohm driver for 7Pi [message #51189 is a reply to message #51184] Tue, 19 June 2007 22:45 Go to previous message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
Thx Wayne, as always you´re very helpful.

I did some measurements yesterday with and without a 15ohm resistor in parallel, and the only thing that seemed to change was the overall level .
The response looked very much the same, with a little flatter top end response when using the 15ohm parallel resistor.

I looked through your links to previous posts, and found the one where you suggest changing the l-pad and compensation circuit only. This is great news, and would make a cheaper and easier implementation of the drivers possible.
Also I will play around with Spice a do some simulations to confirm what I see and hear.

The Altec 902 driver sounds smoother and more natural than the PSD-2002, I will post measurement when I get them done.

Regards
Kim

Previous Topic: What's Going On
Next Topic: Plans for Premium Four
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 06 15:17:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers