Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New 10π basshorn subwoofer - Check it out
New 10π basshorn subwoofer - Check it out [message #50778] Wed, 07 March 2007 10:19 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This post doesn't contain blueprints or even a mock-up, but it does describe the new 10π basshorn in sufficient detail to build one. It's basically a 12π basshorn sub cut right down the center. The idea is to use 10π basshorns in pairs, and it makes transport easier. The 12π is the best basshorn subwoofer in the world, in my opinion, but it is quite large. The 10π is easier to truck around, at 45 x 45 x 15 and less than 150 pounds.

I have toyed with the idea of making a smaller basshorn for quite some time. When I designed the 12π, I planned to build a scaled down version with higher cutoff. I've always had a philosophical problem with undersized basshorns, those that display peaks and dips in response. However, there is some merit in the idea of making a basshorn that is designed to be used in groups in order to get the desired performance.

The idea occured to me that I could pretty much just cut a 12π in half, and each side would be much easier to carry than one large box. A half a 12π is called a 10π, which can be used individually but is designed to be used in pairs. Of course, this means that there is actually a 10π-A and a 10π-B, with the "A" version having the cone facing the front chamber and the "B" version having the magnet facing the front chamber. The cooling plugs and heat plate access panels are also on different sides, so that a pair of 10π basshorns can be stood together to form the equivalent of a 12π basshorn subwoofer.

I would recommend the original 12π be used where possible, because the cancellation of harmonic distortion in the combined throat will be better than the cancellation that occurs from summing at the mouth. I cannot tell how much better the distortion of the 12π basshorn is compared to a pair of 10π basshorns from simulations, because I don't have software tools that can model this sort of thing. That will have to be determined by measurements. A single 10π horn, without a complementary pair, becomes a traditional basshorn. When a complementary pair is used, it gains the benefit of push-pull drive. I plan to assemble a pair of 10π prototypes by the 2007 Prosound Shootout.

Re: New 10π basshorn subwoofer - Check it out [message #50983 is a reply to message #50778] Sat, 21 April 2007 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Barnes is currently offline  Tim Barnes
Baron
I was intrigued to learn from previous 12π discussions of the benefits of push-pull - it makes sense - I just hadn't thought about it.

Can you achieve similar benefits in a ported box with two woofers, one facing the normal way and one reversed (presumably then connected in opposite phase so they drive the external wavefront in phase)?

Have you had any thoughts about using push-pull in other designs - for example a dual-woofer corner horn with one facing into the box and one facing out? Could two cheaper woofers perform as well as or better than one expensive woofer in such a configuration?

Re: New 10π basshorn subwoofer - Check it out [message #50984 is a reply to message #50983] Sat, 21 April 2007 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can achieve distortion reduction using push-pull drive in a vented box. In fact, the first application I considered for push-pull drive was in the bass bin of a seven π cornerhorn.

Re: New 10π basshorn subwoofer - Check it out [message #50985 is a reply to message #50984] Sun, 22 April 2007 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
That's interesting. Did any of the experiments turn into products? Or is this something you're thinking about for a future product?

tim

Re: New 10π basshorn subwoofer - Check it out [message #50986 is a reply to message #50985] Sun, 22 April 2007 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Only the 12π basshorn sub uses push-pull drive at this time. The 10π will also.

When I considered push-pull for seven π cornerhorns, I realized that the top of the line model already has a mechanism for reducing distortion caused by flux modulation, so push-pull drive wouldn't be as effective for it. The woofer used in the Professional Series seven π uses a shorting ring that is effective down to below 100Hz. Shorting rings begin to lose effectiveness at subwoofer frequencies, so I'm not sure they make sense for dedicated subwoofers but for the bass bin of a cornerhorn, flux-stabilized woofers are perfect.

Distortion reduction mechanisms... [message #50996 is a reply to message #50986] Mon, 23 April 2007 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks for explaining that.
When I look at graphs that show SPL and distortion on dB scales against frequency, should I understand distortion 3dB below the output to correspond to 50%; 6dB down would mean 25%; 20dB would correspond to just over 1%?

Re: Distortion reduction mechanisms... [message #51006 is a reply to message #50996] Mon, 23 April 2007 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Here's a handy distortion conversion chart:

Re: Distortion reduction mechanisms... [message #51008 is a reply to message #51006] Mon, 23 April 2007 19:39 Go to previous message
Baron
Thanks - what a great resource. I'm learning gradually...

tim

Previous Topic: theatre 6 plans please..
Next Topic: Delta 12LF crossover in Theater 6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 03:24:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout