Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » new wooden horn!
new wooden horn! [message #50923] Sat, 31 March 2007 16:52 Go to next message
bottleneck is currently offline  bottleneck
Esquire
Hi Wayne

Having just returned from a big hifi show, many manufacturers had horn speakers on show.

THe horns varied in size, orientation, and the compression drivers varied in size.

For novices such as myself, I wonder if you'd be so kind as to discuss the merits of your new wooden horn (an option on the 7 I understand, and other speakers too?), why you designed it that way.. and what you feel about different types of horn shapes in general.

It's an interesting topic I think, and one I'd like to hear more about.

Thanks!
C Smith.

Re: new wooden horn! [message #50924 is a reply to message #50923] Sat, 31 March 2007 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The π wood tweeter is a radial horn, with straight side walls that set a constant 90° horizontal pattern. The throat is shaped so that constant directivity is maintained all the way through the top octave, not just to 8-10kHz like some other CD designs. The top and bottom walls are curved, providing smoothly narrowing directivity in the vertical plane. The final flare on all walls transitions to a tractrix curve with mouth angle widening all the way to 180°. It is also curved deliciously on the outside of the flare, making it probably the best looking wood tweeter horn I've ever seen. Come see and hear it at LSAF 2007!

Re: new wooden horn! [message #50925 is a reply to message #50924] Sun, 01 April 2007 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bottleneck is currently offline  bottleneck
Esquire
Hi Wayne

I'd love to!

A bit far from London unfortunately..

Have you any pictures of them to show off?

Would love to see some decent pics!

Cheers
Chris.

Re: new wooden horn! [message #50926 is a reply to message #50925] Sun, 01 April 2007 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We're going to wait for first showing at LSAF. Pictures will be posted after that.

Re: new wooden horn! [message #51120 is a reply to message #50926] Thu, 17 May 2007 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
Wayne,
I know you are a very busy guy, but the LSAF was a couple of weeks
ago. Where are the pictures???

Chris

Re: new wooden horn! [message #51122 is a reply to message #51120] Fri, 18 May 2007 14:54 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I have been busy. I'll try to post more on the new horn soon. In the meantime, look at some of the coverage of LSAF in the various online sources, like Dagogo and Positive-Feedback. Both did write-ups of LSAF and have pictures of the new wood horn.

Here are some shots as well:

Previous Topic: Mid-horn questions
Next Topic: Pi 7 - How do they sound? What drivers? Build Difficulty?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 05:48:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio