Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » One Pi- Laurels and Nits
One Pi- Laurels and Nits [message #50913] Wed, 28 March 2007 22:17 Go to next message
sansbury is currently offline  sansbury
Esquire
They're not 100% finished yet but my one pi's sound so good as is I can't contain myself. I've been sitting here on the floor for the past hour running through my iTunes collection listening to all sorts of things, picking up all the nuances I've never heard before.

My system right now is my latop feeding a freshly-built BrianGT gainclone in stereo config. The volume is way, way down and every time I start turning it up it scares me because it seems like this will start cracking the horsehair plaster in the walls long before it tops out.

My listening experience is limited, so all I have to compare it to are the times I've listened to a friend's system which uses Triangle speakers, and always had a "wow" effect when I listened closely. These produce the same rush for me. To say I'm happy with what I got would be a serious understatement.

I think anyone getting into DIY and looking for a good entry point and is, like me, used to consumer-grade stuff, will be very happy with these. The quality of the kit is solid and no-nonsense.

Now, for a few nits that came up during construction:

1. I would suggest noting on the plans that you should measure the actual parts before cutting holes, to account for variations. The tweeter, for instance, needed a hole a good 1/4" larger than specified, and enlarging a circle cut is a bit fiddly

2. The plans don't seem to indicate clearly where to put the tweeter, so we just centered it above the woofer.

3. What is the right length for the port tube? Assuming I build the standard-size cabinet and hole, etc.

I will post pics when really finished. I used 3/4" lightweight MDF and will probably rabbet in some hardwood edges for durability and then veneer it. I usually work with the paper-backed pre-matched veneer sheets but these are so small that I'm tempted to get some burl and go wild.

Re: One Pi- Laurels and Nits [message #50914 is a reply to message #50913] Wed, 28 March 2007 22:34 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad you like the sound of your speakers. Port length is 3.5" total, through the baffle from front edge to rear of the port. The center of the drivers is to line up 6.25" from the left, as shown on the drawing. But you're right, that's the center. Maybe I should have made that more clear on the plans. Glad you got them together!

Previous Topic: RatShack 40-1034 Sub
Next Topic: Aurum Cantus G2Si
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 01:48:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout