Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » REAL car stereo
REAL car stereo [message #50891] Tue, 27 March 2007 07:45 Go to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Sounds OT, I know, but it really isn't. 3 of the 4 Boston Acoustics speakers I had Tweeter put in my '93 Volvo 240 wagon doors when they installed an Alpine head a couple years back disconnected or fell out shortly afterward. (They are now reaping what they've sown in the marketplace, IMHO.)

I have a Butler Tube Driver Blue 275 and have been wondering for quite a while how I should integrate the Butler into the picture. Last night I had an audio epiphany: Why don't I build a pair of Pi Studio 1 or 2 (in kicker-shaped boxes for stability), plop 'em in the back of the wagon and drive them with the Butler, completely ignoring the girly-man Boston Acoustics?

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts on the 1 vs. the 2?

Butler link [message #50892 is a reply to message #50891] Tue, 27 March 2007 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Oops, meant to hang this off the end of the above, since most will say, "You have a WHAT amp?"

Re: REAL car stereo [message #50899 is a reply to message #50891] Tue, 27 March 2007 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's what I've done for years. I drove a Porsche 928 in the 1990's that had a pair of one π's in the back lying face up. I had them built with black formica covering because it's attractive and durable (gets damn hot in the summer sun though). They were held in place with Velcro, which kept them from sliding even under hard cornering. The rear window of a 928 is slanted enough to act as a good reflector. Now the same speakers are in Melissa's 4WD. It's an excellent sounding combination. Cabinet gain is a perfect conjugate for one π bass rolloff, so it sounds great. Highly recommended.

Re: REAL car stereo [message #50905 is a reply to message #50899] Tue, 27 March 2007 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Once upon a time (mid '80's) I had Mission 70's lying on their backs in the rear seat of my Toyota Corolla.

For the wagon, I'll probably carpet the parts that show, making them as innocuous as possible, and there won't be a smooth finish to damage when they have to get moved around to make room for big stuff. Velcro's a good idea, too.

Would you email the cab plans, please? I'll order up the drivers and xo presently.

Man, it's gonna be fun to see you guys in May!

You've got mail! [message #50907 is a reply to message #50905] Tue, 27 March 2007 11:32 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: Co-Ax - Single Driver??
Next Topic: 4 pi speaker options
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 10:00:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers