Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » theater six?
theater six? [message #50848] Mon, 19 March 2007 17:44 Go to next message
tmoore is currently offline  tmoore
Chancellor
Wayne, how do the theater six cornerhorns compare sonically to the theater 7's? The slightly smaller size would be an advantage in my 11 x 11.5 office.

Re: theater six? [message #50850 is a reply to message #50848] Mon, 19 March 2007 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Theater seven π speakers go a little deeper than six π's, but not much really. The two sound very much alike.

Re: theater six? [message #50852 is a reply to message #50850] Tue, 20 March 2007 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tmoore is currently offline  tmoore
Chancellor
I'm not really getting anything below 40hz right now with the 7's in my office. I'm not sure if this is a cabinet issue or room issue. My super scientific rat shack meter shows a bass dip at 80hz and a big dip between 600hz and 2k pretty much anywhere in the room. Right now I'm using the 2pi towers in place of the 7's and the towers seem to have more bass in this room.

Re: theater six? [message #50854 is a reply to message #50852] Tue, 20 March 2007 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 80Hz dip is probably due to woofer reflection from the ceiling. You can expect a dip at 80Hz from a rigid reflector 7 feet away. Midbass output from the midrange driver should help smooth this, but it sounds like maybe something is wrong with it. If you're hearing less output between 600Hz and 2kHz, I think maybe the midhorn is misconnected or something. Can you hear vocals coming from the midhorn? Connect it directly to the amplifier without going through the crossover - It should be a little louder. This is a good test to see what's happening. Once you get the midhorn issue resolved, it will help reduce the dip from woofer ceiling bounce.

Re: theater six? [message #50856 is a reply to message #50854] Tue, 20 March 2007 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j.luis cruz . is currently offline  j.luis cruz .
Master
Hy .Wayne .could use the two tower as bass bin firing into the apex of the corner ( concrete walls ) and use a Alpha 8 MR in the mid-horn .but I have a concern so that that the Alpha 8 MR have a Fs of 500 hz with pretty good extension up to over 3Khz .Could work the seven Pi crossover work in this poor men seven Pi version . Thanks Wayne

Re: theater six? [message #50857 is a reply to message #50856] Tue, 20 March 2007 20:32 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could probably do something like that, sure. It would probably sound pretty good. The midhorn I designed probably wouldn't work well with the Alpha 8MR, but you could change the throat and flare a little bit and come up with a very similar design. If you were able to get response up to 3.5kHz, you could probably crossover to something like the APT series tweeters on top. On the lower end, I expect you could get response down to 400Hz from an Alpha 8MR midhorn.

Personally, I like to crossover a little bit lower than that. Lots of three-way loudspeakers have crossover between 400Hz and 600Hz. It's kind of a popular place to put a crossover point, I suspect probably because it's easier to get a smaller midrange to work there. But that is right in the middle of the vocal range and I don't like to crossover between 200Hz and 2kHz if I can help it. I generally try to design my speakers so that as much as possible of the 200Hz-2kHz band is covered by one driver.

Having lower crossover allows the vocal range to be covered by one driver. Woofer-to-mid distances can be greater and summing is still good. Midbass room modes can be smoothed by having sound from both the midhorn and the bass bin. So having a lower crossover point for the midrange seems ideal to me.

Previous Topic: Pi 3-way crossover
Next Topic: 4 Pi's with midhorn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 23 13:57:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout