Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » TAD 2 way.. need crossover.
Re: TAD 2 way.. need crossover. [message #50774 is a reply to message #50772] Wed, 07 March 2007 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's true. Having Speaker Workshop or something like it to measure the speakers would be very helpful.

Re: TAD 2 way.. need crossover. [message #50779 is a reply to message #50774] Wed, 07 March 2007 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plocke is currently offline  plocke
Esquire
yES. Thanks both of you.
I have response curves from the spec sheets that came with the drivers, I also have my friend DUke who sent me his own measurements of the TL-1102. He likes the 1600 crossover point too.

So all in all I think this recommendation from Wayne is an excellent one and worth trying. Going to rummage thru my caps and see if I should build or buy.

btw.. what are the critical components in the pi two way crossover?
would it be worthwhile to put some paper in oils someplace ( have an assorment ) how about some heavy awq guage inductors (also have some of them or could trade for some).

Thanks.

Re: TAD 2 way.. need crossover. [message #50780 is a reply to message #50779] Wed, 07 March 2007 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The critical components are those in series with the drivers. I'd consider the shunt inductor in the tweeter circuit fairly critical too. The Zobel isn't critical, although I would try a pseudo-first-order filter on the woofer, since you're near mechanical rolloff. That will make the total crossover slope higher than just the electrical filter slope. You don't need a Zobel with pseudo-first-order crossovers, it's just a single series coil.

Re: TAD 2 way.. need crossover. [message #50781 is a reply to message #50780] Wed, 07 March 2007 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Sorry.

The Shunt capacitor is C1 ?

and Capacitors in series with the driver are C3 and C4?

Sorry, new at this. Was going to try and build exactly as specified on the schematic. Seemed like a good fist project.. sans any high voltages.

Re: TAD 2 way.. need crossover. [message #50783 is a reply to message #50781] Wed, 07 March 2007 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Basically, consider all the components in the crossover to be critical except for the Zobel. When I say "critical" here, I don't mean value tolerance is small. I mean that the quality of component determines the quality of sound. Don't use electrolytics in the signal path, in other words. Don't use coils with high DC resistance. Do use polypropylene capacitors or other high quality types. Use air core coils with large guage conductors for those under 1mH, and good quality laminated steel core for larger values.

Re: TAD 2 way.. need crossover. [message #50785 is a reply to message #50783] Wed, 07 March 2007 15:51 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks Wayne!
When I get it all together.. ill be nodding my head to the result and hold a lighter up to you in the recognition of your contribution. lol. really though. thanks!

Previous Topic: dedicated sub
Next Topic: Pi 2 Towers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 10:06:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout