Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Need recommendations for efficient speaker to run on solar power
Need recommendations for efficient speaker to run on solar power [message #50655] Tue, 06 February 2007 18:16 Go to next message
Tim S is currently offline  Tim S
Esquire
Hi,

I am researching options for building a highly efficient audio system for use with solar power. The goal is to obtain as much quality audio as possible from minimal energy input, such as 25 watts or less. The amp I am considering is based on the Tripath TA 2024 chipset. See http://www.michael.mardis.com/sonic/start.html for details. I am looking to find a good set of efficient speakers with >93db sensitivity to match this amp. Something with good midrange performance at around 7-8 watts per channel would be ideal.

Do you have any recommendations for a pi speaker?

Re: Need recommendations for efficient speaker to run on solar power [message #50657 is a reply to message #50655] Wed, 07 February 2007 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

With 7 to 8 watts per channel available, any of the models will sound great. Your choice can be based on size and quality. The little one π and two π speakers are inexpensive and small, the Theater three π is a great medium-price speaker that sounds great and isn't too big, the Thermionic eight π is very nice and isn't too big either, and for top of the line go for the Professional Series four π, or better still, the seven π if you can put them in room corners.

Re: Need recommendations for efficient speaker to run on solar power [message #50658 is a reply to message #50657] Wed, 07 February 2007 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
....or, something from Sunn? Sorry, couldn't resist!

Re: Need recommendations for efficient speaker to run on solar power [message #50659 is a reply to message #50658] Wed, 07 February 2007 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sunn.      Solar power.         By, golly, I think you're on to something!

Re: Need recommendations for efficient speaker to run on solar power [message #50660 is a reply to message #50658] Thu, 08 February 2007 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim S is currently offline  Tim S
Esquire
Sunn, ah the days of the monolithic 1200 watt tube amp. The warm glow of oversized tubes, where massive heat sinks are needed to dissipate the 90% loss of efficiency.

Sadly, my solar array could not muster so much as a barely audible bleep from one of those vintage Sunn behemouths. So I am stuck figuring out how to make sounds that somewhat resemble the classic tube amp by generating high frequency pwm waveforms with my solar array and switching them into drivers with different response characteristics. The sound you can get from class d amps from only 15 watts still amazes me.

Not to mention the incredibly small size of these things - you could easily hide several inside a speaker cabinet:

Re: Need recommendations for efficient speaker to run on solar power [message #50661 is a reply to message #50658] Thu, 08 February 2007 05:57 Go to previous message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master

... or Steven Mark(s) "secret" TPU Toroidal Generator.
, or else chinese?!
(http://www.zpenergy.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2206)
(http://jeanyves.hervouet.free.fr/JapRod/)
But for now, solar is not bad at all, I agree. Save the planet.

Previous Topic: PI 7
Next Topic: Dry fit of pi 2 tower
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 16:58:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout