Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Blow Fuse!
Blow Fuse! [message #50561] Sun, 21 January 2007 08:33 Go to previous message
Tuffer is currently offline  Tuffer
Esquire
Hi Guys,

I have been borrowing some of your crossover designs to try and improve my speakers which are used for mainly DJ use. I am using a Beyma 15G40 and PSD2002 in a vented box. I am using an Eminence PXB2:1k6 crossover.

I have created an lpad using two 15 ohm resistors and a 0.47uf cap for compensation. The resistors are wirewound and so may be inductive. See a pic below.

http://www.tuffer.co.uk/cross1.jpg

I have also disconnected one end of the 10uf cap on the crossover to give me a pseudo first order filter on the woofer.

http://www.tuffer.co.uk/cross2.jpg

Was quite happy with the results. Attenuation is perhaps a little strong. 8db might have been better.

On their first proper outing however both the fuses on the crossover board blew. They were being powered by a Behringer EP2500 so about 450w max to each cab. I wasn't present when they blew but was told that they weren't being driven particularly hard. I had been using these crossovers without the lpad or mod for some time without any problems.

Can anyone tell me if what I have done looks OK ? Could any of these changes increased the likelihood of overload and the fuses blowing or is it just one of those things that happen ? Should I just replace them with stock Eminence fuse or something else ? Obviously while the fuses have done there job and protected the HF drivers I wan't these cabs to be as reliable as possible.

Thanks for your help.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Stage, Audiphile(?) or Professional?
Next Topic: First listen to the 3-way; I call them the......
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 10 01:19:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio