Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » tools for building my own xovers
tools for building my own xovers [message #50544] Tue, 16 January 2007 22:38 Go to next message
freo is currently offline  freo
Esquire
Hello from Australia
I am interested in building speakers from scratch, I have built the ed frias diy kit and I am now waiting for my pi 2 tower kit to arrive. I have some drivers I have pulled from old speakers, a couple of oval kef base drivers I think they are b139's, and a couple of good quality tweeters I was going to buy some mid range drivers and try my luck. I was wondering what equiptment I would need to build and measure the crossovers. Any help would be appreciated
Regards Roger

Re: tools for building my own xovers [message #50545 is a reply to message #50544] Wed, 17 January 2007 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can start off with circuit modeling tools like Spice and crossover simulators like the one in LSPCad. For acoustic measurememts, you might use a PC-based system like Speaker Workshop.

Re: tools for building my own xovers [message #50551 is a reply to message #50544] Thu, 18 January 2007 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kim Schultz is currently offline  Kim Schultz
Viscount
I use JBL Speakershop for designing boxes and crossovers, then measure with DLSA Pro, and tune the design by hand and ear.

The beauty about DLSA Pro is that it can measure TS specs too, and it is not too expensive.

regards
Kim

Re: tools for building my own xovers [message #50552 is a reply to message #50544] Thu, 18 January 2007 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hello roger friend,
I use a "cheap" €52,00 Inductance Capacitance Meter by RANGE (RE6000) to measure coils and caps.
You will spend a lot of money in xovers, sometimes more than in speakers to get it right. Thats why some factories sometimes don't mess with that, or the speaker(s) goes over (many)$1.000,00 USD. Be careful. After all it's our pleasure not theirs.
dB, I am from Portugal.

thanks for the advice gentlemen n/t [message #50560 is a reply to message #50544] Sun, 21 January 2007 04:47 Go to previous message
roger friend is currently offline  roger friend
Esquire

Previous Topic: Crossover Electronics 101 Seminar at LSAF
Next Topic: 7 Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 02:42:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers