Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What about Linkwitz-Riley?
What about Linkwitz-Riley? [message #50493] Tue, 09 January 2007 20:25 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just to see I ordered the cute l'il coils 18ga. to make a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley crossover for the Fountek ribbons @4000Hz.

What should I expect from the much steeper slope than the usual Butterworth?

Re: What about Linkwitz-Riley? [message #50498 is a reply to message #50493] Tue, 09 January 2007 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

With higher-order crossovers, the phase shift is greater and overlap is less. As for the difference between Butterworth and Linkwitz-Riley, see the curves below:

Re: What about Linkwitz-Riley? [message #50525 is a reply to message #50493] Fri, 12 January 2007 18:19 Go to previous message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
- I'll use a first order at 3500. BILL
- I ordered the cute l'il coils 18ga. to make a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley crossover. BILL

Hi bill,
Why did you change so much (from) your ideal xover?
From my "hi-tech" learning with Wayne, 4th may not work. This is because what are you going to do with so many components? Are you measuring all of them with multimeters and simulating with Spice. From what I know (and I don't know much) that doesn't work or is much more difficult. How much sound are you loosing in the process after all?

Check well with Waynes 1 and 2order filters and how they work on his papers 101 et al. on his (this) website. I would like to know your opinion after all anyway. If you chose and design with the right components, a 2nd order may very well behave as a 4th order on the sound-output-side decay curve. Your initial idea of a 1st order may very well be more pure than none.
dB

Previous Topic: klipshorn
Next Topic: What about stuffing the 2123 cabinet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 01:00:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio