Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » PAS
PAS [message #50401] Wed, 20 December 2006 20:46 Go to next message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
Wayne- Have you ever checked out the PAS line of drivers? They're a bit more spendy than Eminence, but worth every extra penny. I used their HL-2880C 18's in my old SR system (before I retired myself). Solid, yummy bass in a 5ft^3 vented box (32-35Hz tuning)!

Re: PAS [message #50404 is a reply to message #50401] Thu, 21 December 2006 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm familiar with PAS. I really like JBL 22xx woofers too.

Re: PAS [message #50406 is a reply to message #50404] Thu, 21 December 2006 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Needless to say, you'll spend a lot more for JBL. The PAS are more affordable if you have a Dealership with them, as I did in the distant past. Of course, I'm not crazy about ALL of their drivers, and their HF stuff is not their own (B&C). Both are definately cheaper than McCauley!

Re: PAS [message #50409 is a reply to message #50406] Thu, 21 December 2006 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I understand PAS recently moved their manufacturing overseas to China. Have you noticed any difference in quality since then?

Re: PAS [message #50412 is a reply to message #50409] Fri, 22 December 2006 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I haven't been active with PAS for quite some time; I had no idea that their manufacturing had moved! I still have an unused pair of their HL-2880C 18's laying about from 5+ years ago, if anyone wishes to make a comparison. (The carpenter I contracted to build my prototypes never "got around to it". Needless to say, I fired him and couldn't find another willing to do the job.)

Re: PAS [message #50430 is a reply to message #50412] Tue, 26 December 2006 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi, Cuppa Joe
About the carpenter.
I think that's important to, I always like a personal touch in this speakers, so to say.
But dont't forget that Wayne Pi's are ready for CNC at least, I guess, some of them, isn'it so Wayne?
Now, if you only have the drawings they can also do all the input on the CNC machine (you pay for the time anyway - man/hours).
They also do the veneer process but that goes before the CNC-cutting.
There is another forum about CNC machines and that stuff but I never been there long. You can also do laser cutting, besides milling 3D or both. Isn't life great? Best Regards.

Re: PAS [message #50434 is a reply to message #50430] Wed, 27 December 2006 21:32 Go to previous message
Viscount
There's a CNC shop not too far from where I live, and they have cut their share of loudspeaker enclosures. However, I needed a hand-refined prototype to ensure that the finished product would assemble correctly. One or two prototypes is better than a dozen if something doesn't fit right! Actually, the builder did eventually finish a pair of boxes, but after 2+ years of modifications & simplifications in an effort to motivate him (since I paid up front), the result bore no resemblance to my original design. That deal was a friendship breaker!

Previous Topic: Do I treat this as a 6 or 8 ohm driver?
Next Topic: Crossover
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 18:09:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout