Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Corner horns? If so ~ mounted up the wall at the ceiling corners?
Corner horns? If so ~ mounted up the wall at the ceiling corners? [message #50352] Sat, 02 December 2006 13:06 Go to next message
braddog100 is currently offline  braddog100
Chancellor
I was refered here by one of the moderators at audio karma. Where I asked about ~ HIGH GRADE ~ DIY ~ Speakers.

I would like speakers that wouId be at par with the gear I have, and listening style. I could do corner horns, I quess. I am not familiar with the options avail here, also concidering my ignorance on the speaker side of the fence. I like Jazz and Rock n roll, Loud and also as background music. I have three very good tube amps. All have the very sweet sounding 7591 output tubes that Terry Dewick from www.audiokarma.org updated.I could bi-amp with a very solid Pioneer SX 1050 to drive the woofers. My only concern would be spkr impedence/load on the tube gear. I would think that a single amp circuit would be much easier. . . suggestions?

Are Corner horns a good choice for someone who likes speakers that produce good Detail, And also solid Bass (Not Boomy)? If It's corner horns, the only place I could put them is at the ceiling corners, up the wall. I have a cathedral ceiling. They would angle out perfectly. I do prefer speakers up on a wall.

Thank you for your time.
Brad

Re: Corner horns? If so ~ mounted up the wall at the ceiling corners? [message #50353 is a reply to message #50352] Sat, 02 December 2006 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I really love the seven π cornerhorn design. It's my all-time favorite speaker for home hifi use. Everything comes together for me on that design and it has no compromises. You can mount a cornerhorn in the ceiling corner - Suspend the cabinet with tweeter and midhorn down.

Re: Corner horns? If so ~ mounted up the wall at the ceiling corners? [message #50355 is a reply to message #50353] Sat, 02 December 2006 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

I'll look at these closely. Please forward the technical info, diagrams for these. I was brousing the boards here, and I came upon a thread where you had explained something about "Nulls" as it relates to the distance to the corner (I think), also it seems that the 90 deg angle of the wall is critical. The ideal location for these, as it relates to seating, would be on the cealing corner where our cathedral ceiling angles up 30 degrees. This opens the corner up to 120 degrees.

I am concidering countersinking them into the ceiling by shortening the rafters and stabilizing them with a header. Sounds alittle radical I know well. . . I would build them in. . . Man, My wife is so understanding. She is really an awsome chick. Hummmm, well there was the time when I started the remodel. Going through the house ripping out sections, tile. . . etc, whatever. Well she went over to our preachers house that day(whose alot of fun) and told the group of friends there that I was going through the house with a "BFH"!!!! When asked by one of the elders what that meant. . . She told them exactly what It means.Auuuu she is fun. She ain't religious, but she loves the Lord and she loves me, I ~ her. . . sniff sniff,

Oh, did I ask for plans? I could use some plans Wayne.

Thanks Buddy.

You've got mail! [message #50356 is a reply to message #50355] Sun, 03 December 2006 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: corner horns [message #50361 is a reply to message #50356] Sun, 03 December 2006 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
What would you think If I bought the mid's and the tweeters from you first, used my Cerwin Vega 15's from a set of D9's, for now, and bought the JBL's later? Pending funding.

C/Vega D9's where huge. with two very large bass reflex ports. I don't know the stats but JBL's. . . they ain't. Not junk though. They are rather heavy. Very good cond.

Thanks.

Re: corner horns [message #50363 is a reply to message #50361] Sun, 03 December 2006 21:46 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Cerwin Vega woofers are very different than JBL's. I'm not sure how they will sound in a cornerhorn.

Previous Topic: How do I brace these speakers.
Next Topic: JBL 2218 in mid-horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 09:07:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout