Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theatre 4 Questions
Theatre 4 Questions [message #50294] Tue, 21 November 2006 22:15 Go to next message
Doug is currently offline  Doug
Chancellor
Hi Wayne. I emailed you yesterday and you replied today but I have a few more questions.

Could you email me the speaker plans for this model so I can have an idea of what I may be up against? I can't use corner horns because there is only one corner in my living room (unless I switch things around - my wife would kill me). I assume that none of your designs are like the La Scala.

Also, do you ship via USPS? I live in Canada and brokerage cost are a killer for US shippments.

Finally, would you describe these speakers as bright sounding or very detailed? I abandoned single drivers because they upper middle and high end is too harsh for some music especially rock. I was reading up on Klipsch speakers and a reviewer said that they are very sensitive and reveal every detail of recordings and the red light want on. I am worried that they may sound like single drivers.

Kind Regards,

Doug

Re: Theatre 4 Questions [message #50295 is a reply to message #50294] Tue, 21 November 2006 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Forgot to mention thay my email is mmatches@excite.com

You've got mail! [message #50296 is a reply to message #50295] Tue, 21 November 2006 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Theater four π Speakers are designed to be used in average sized rooms, floor standing with their backs against the wall or in corners. When used that way, Theater four π Speakers are very full sounding, with deep rich bass and natural sounding midrange and treble. I'll send plans for the Theater four π right away.

Another option you might consider is using the four π cabinet as a bass bin, and use the midhorn, tweeter and crossover from the Theater seven π. I'll send plans for the seven π in case you want to look at that possibility. You can also build the four π's now, and add a midhorn and modify the crossover later. This provides a nice upgrade path.

Re: You've got mail! [message #50297 is a reply to message #50296] Wed, 22 November 2006 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tmoore is currently offline  tmoore
Chancellor
I've lived with the theater 4's for several months now and really like them, Wayne's comments about how they sound are right on. The 4's are probably the best rock and blues speakers that I have heard. My neighbor came over one night while I was playing Stevie Ray (at 105-110db on my rat shack meter) and now he and his teenage son bring friends and out of town visitors over just to have a listen...

One reason I went with the 4's was the ability to upgrade them by adding the midhorns and theater 7 crossovers, which I did this weekend. I'll preface these comments by saying that I don't have usable corners and my midhorns are a worst case scenerio, slapped together in a few hours as a test, with a leaky .7 cu ft box containing (sort of) the driver and plopped down on top of the 4's. I haven't had a chance to do a lot of listening yet but these are my initial impressions...

On average rock blues etc. recordings the midrange is cleaner and more detailed and the bass seems a little cleaner. On several songs I've noticed backing vocals and instrumental lines that I really hadn't heard or paid attention to before. You seem to hear more of the music without the hyper detail that makes many of these recordings hard to listen to. But on well recorded music the midhorns really blew me away. They do a wonderful job of reproducing a sense of space and scale, making my back wall seem to disappear completely. I can't wait to listen to my favorites.

Re: You've got mail! [message #50298 is a reply to message #50297] Wed, 22 November 2006 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Sounds great. Please let me know what you think of the mid horns after you do some more testing. I was leaning towards buying the 4 theater with the mid horns.

What sort of internal bracing did you use for your 4's? Does the mid horn just sit on top of the main box(not attached)? Did you have to buy your own port tube for the 4's or did you simply cut a hole and not use a port tube? Did you use MDF for the box? I was considering using a combination of baltic birch and MDF.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Re: You've got mail! [message #50301 is a reply to message #50298] Wed, 22 November 2006 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor

I built both my 2pi towers and 4pi's from 3/4" oak plywood. On the 4's I built something resembling shelf braces from 1x2" stock, but on the towers I just jammed a couple of 1x2's firmly in place front to back and side to side. Wayne includes the cardboard tube for the ports with the kit, you just cut them to length.

The link below is a shot of the fugly horns, don't say I didn't warn you. I built the 4's to the plans and just set the horns on top of them. If I was going to go with a hybrid from the start I'd leave the tweeters out of the bass bin and set them on top of the midhorns. The crossovers are just laying on the floor next to the speakers, I removed the 4pi crossovers and will keep them external so that I can use the speakers as two ways or three ways.

I plan on building a new set of horns with an enclosure similar to the one shown on the plans, but as you can see I haven't even finished the 4's yet so it may be a while before I get around to it.

oops [message #50302 is a reply to message #50301] Wed, 22 November 2006 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Try this http://tlmw10.atspace.com/fuglyhorns.jpg

Re: oops [message #50304 is a reply to message #50302] Thu, 23 November 2006 13:42 Go to previous message
Chancellor
They look pretty darn good. Thanks!

Previous Topic: A "Slim" sub based on four JBL 2226s
Next Topic: Tweeters and different woofers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 14:07:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio