Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Premium 4 cabinet modification
Premium 4 cabinet modification [message #49945] Mon, 04 September 2006 11:40 Go to next message
LeeW is currently offline  LeeW
Chancellor
I like what Garland did with the Theater 4's, Can I modify the Premium 4 plans (center the horn, move the port to the bottom) without changing the results.

Thanks,
Lee

Cabinet layouts [message #49949 is a reply to message #49945] Mon, 04 September 2006 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Garland made his Theater four π Speakers exactly as the plans show. That's the way they're designed. Some modifications can be made, some can't. One thing is for sure, if you keep them the same as the plans show, they'll sound good. But as I said, there are some styling changes that can be done with good results.

Theater four π Speakers

The layout of the cabinet used for the Stage, Premium and Professional Series four π Speakers is a little different than the one used for the Theater four π. The thing is the Stage, Premium and Professional Series four π speakers are a pretty tight fit. The layout is somewhat dictated by front baffle area. It's an attractive layout, in my opinion. They're smaller than Theater Series four π's, and best used on stands.

Stage, Premium and Professonal Series four π Speakers

There are very few other layouts that would work for this model. Some move the tweeter outside. That's really the only mod that makes sense. You could go with a larger box, but that makes a different alignment and places the components in a different physical layout, so some design work would be required to make sure everything worked together properly.

Re: Cabinet layouts [message #49951 is a reply to message #49949] Tue, 05 September 2006 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne,

Would it be possible to either locate the port on the back of the Premium and center the horn or use the components in the Theater Cabinet?

Thanks,

Lee

Re: Cabinet layouts [message #49956 is a reply to message #49951] Tue, 05 September 2006 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, it won't fit. The port is 10" long so it cannot be placed behind the woofer or the tweeter.

Stand Height [message #49971 is a reply to message #49949] Tue, 05 September 2006 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne,

What is the ideal height ( from the floor ) for the center of the tweeter?

Does anyone have any pictures of their Stage 4's on stands?

Thanks,

Lee

Re: Stand Height [message #49977 is a reply to message #49971] Tue, 05 September 2006 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Ideal stand height really depends on listening position. Height can also be used to adjust the amount of boundary gain provided, and what frequency it stops working. In a live room, you'll probably want the speakers a little lower than a more typical room with carpeting and furniture. I've used little four inchers with a slight upward angle, and I've used taller 12" and 18" stands. I tend to prefer the 12" stands in most cases.

Re: Typical Room? [message #49981 is a reply to message #49977] Wed, 06 September 2006 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Wayne, My room has 9' ceilings, real plaster walls on lathe, and an old hardwood floor that's the thicker kind, on a very good slanted-board subfloor, with one area rug in center under a coffee table, and no curtains. I've just had the Stage 4's tipped up in front w/ a piece of 3/4" plywood...think I'd be a candidate for the 4" stands? They sound good the way they are...but....always looking for something else to do. I finished my "SET-style" xover and it sounds great.

Re: Typical Room? [message #49984 is a reply to message #49981] Wed, 06 September 2006 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like your room is pretty live. Plaster walls are much more reflective and provide less damping than drywall on studs with fiberglass behind. You said you have no curtains, just an area rug and I would assume some furniture. So I would expect your your room is pretty reflective.

Is your hardwood floor on a concrete slab? Or is there a crawlspace underneath? If there is a crawlspace underneath, it may resonate at midbass frequencies and the increase in bass might sort of match the increase of mids and treble from having a live room. Hard to say without being there.

When you clap your hands is it sharp? I mean, do you hear wall reflections almost as loud as the direct sound from your hands? If you stomp on the floor does it boom? Does it sound solid like rock or hollow like an empty barrel?

Re: Typical Room? [message #49988 is a reply to message #49984] Wed, 06 September 2006 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
good questions- when I clap, the sound comes from my hands, but with a short "reverb" effect that dies out quicly. There's a basement under the room, but the floor is very solid when I stomp on the floor and the sound deadens very quickly. Also, there are openings on all 3 walls that the stereo is not against. the Studio 2's sounded great in the room, as do the Stages. I have the Stages about 3' from the corner, few inches out from wall (there's a "sweet spot" there I can hear when I move them in and out), and the 3/4" ply under the front. I could try a stand, but not sure I need it.

Re: Typical Room? [message #49989 is a reply to message #49988] Wed, 06 September 2006 19:59 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very good. The quick "reverb" you mention is what I would expect from a room of your description. Sounds like your room is on the lively side. I probably wouldn't use stands in your case, or just the little ones that basically tilt back the speaker without adding any height.

Previous Topic: 9Pi mid-bass horn dimensions???
Next Topic: 2 Pi BR plans, please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 28 23:29:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout