Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Professional Four Pi Plans
Professional Four Pi Plans [message #49888] Sat, 19 August 2006 17:38 Go to next message
Hakn is currently offline  Hakn
Esquire
Wayne,

Could you provide me with a copy of the Professional Four Pi plans.

I have JBL 2226H woofers and 2446J compression drivers that I would like to build a box for. Actually, I have a 7 ft3 enclosure (~2 Pi Towers) that I am going to partition to drop the volume down to ~3 ft3 per your Pi Align specs unless advised otherwise.

Planning on using a pseudo first order crossover, with an inductor rated at ~1.5mH to arrive at 800Hz. Can I get by with only the inductor for the LF crossover or does the natural roll-off of the woofer occur higher thereby requiring a capacitor as well?

Jim

You've got mail! [message #49892 is a reply to message #49888] Sat, 19 August 2006 22:22 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've sent plans to your Yahoo address. If that's not current, let me know your new address and I'll send them along.

The coil in the woofer circuit interacts with the woofer's voice coil to form a sort of shelved response with attenuation that kicks in at 1kHz. It doesn't really provide 6dB/octave attenuation because the load is inductive rather than resistive. That's why I call it a pseudo-first-order, since there is no Zobel to fix load impedance. But as you've inferred, the woofer's natural rolloff helps out in this regard.

If you move everything down to 800Hz, you may or may not be able to use this arrangement. The woofer won't be rolling off yet, in fact, it's still climbing on axis because of collapsing directivity. You might add a Zobel, see how that works. Or you might go with a higher crossover slope.

Previous Topic: Alpha 10 for mihorn?
Next Topic: 16 OHM & 8 OHM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 13:22:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout