Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Not so "Easy-as-Pie" One-Pi's
Tweeter Brightness [message #49808 is a reply to message #49761] Wed, 02 August 2006 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I noticed the same thing. If there is an acceptable range from slightly laid back (like Vandersteens) to a bit bright (like B&W), this speaker seems to fall on the bright end of that continuum. Many people I know prefer this sound and find my favorite speakers too dull, but I prefer a speaker that's a bit laid back.

I tried several brands of 10uF caps including the stock Solens, Daytons, Clarity SA's, and Northcreeks, with and without a Clarity SA 0.1uF bypass cap. I hear little difference between all these caps other than the usual placebo effect - the Clarity may be a bit cleaner, but the overall tonal character of the speaker doesn't change. I also tried some lower values, which reduce the mid treble but don't effect the top octave. I prefer the tonal balance with the 10uF. Finally I tried a 2 ohm Mills resistor in series with the 10uF Clarity cap, and I liked the effect it had so I left it in the circuit - still good, clean, well resolved treble, but without that Best Buy / Circuit City "Hey listen to me I'm so bright and forward I must be hi fi" sound.

The next tweak will be to the woofer. I have a couple of inductors I plan to try, including a 0.6mH 14ga copper wire air core and a 0.68mH 16ga Alphacore copper foil. The only objective here is to slightly attenuate the low treble peak - the bass is already as good as you could ask for. Nice thing about all these tweaks is that they are easily reversed if I don't like them.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Pics - finished pi stage4
Next Topic: Sometimes is difficult to get a screw... oops!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 26 04:20:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio