Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Cornerhorns for this room?
Cornerhorns for this room? [message #49439] Sat, 06 May 2006 09:30 Go to next message
Riot is currently offline  Riot
Chancellor

Hi, new to this forum. Beginning a search for hieff speakers to match 300B SET. Want to consider room interaction/reflection issues given that the speakers sit within an alcove and radiate toward the larger living room (see attached pic). An 18" ceiling beam divides the ceilings between these two areas of the room (as well as wall that extends 3' into room at top of pic), creating a "chamber" within which the speakers sit.

Would corner horns along left-most wall work well in this room or not? What speaker designs (narrow radiation designs, front or back horn, MLTL, sealed sub w/ dipole mids, etc.) would perform WELL in this room? It would also be helpful to identify designs that I should AVOID due to poor room interaction. Thanks for input!

Re: Cornerhorns for this room? [message #49440 is a reply to message #49439] Sat, 06 May 2006 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

π cornerhorns will work great in that room.

Re: Cornerhorns for this room? [message #49442 is a reply to message #49439] Sun, 07 May 2006 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi riotubes,
After you choose the speakers you have another problem to deal with.
The resonance of your space.
You have a problematic "auditorium", with room modes at the baseline frequencies:

31,7Hz - Width(30.2), Length(32.7)
63,5Hz - Height(66.5), Width(60.4), Length(65.3)
127Hz - bis(132.9), (120.9), (130.6)

Solutions to adress this problem are (as an ex.)1. change room dimensions (not all of them at the-same-time/the-same-way but make one bigger the other smaller or maintain one and change the other), 2. acoustically treat the room, and/or 3. equalize (slide down these freqs to have some control on them - i.e. reverberation or resonance)
(S.Shenefield 1997)

Upgrade path with 7's? [message #49445 is a reply to message #49440] Sun, 07 May 2006 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Riot is currently offline  Riot
Chancellor
Thanks, Wayne, for the prompt reply. A few Qs on Pi cornerhorns for this room:

1. Read post on another board in which the Pi customer stated that you suggest at least 6 feet clear on each side of the cornerhorn. While viewing the schematic of my room above, please note that I have one corner (upper left) that runs only 5 1/2 feet before terminating into a wall that extends 32" into the room. I'm sooo clooose...but this was my initial concern. Still OK?

2. The cab dimensions appear the same for 7 series beggining with Stage through Pro. Assume there's an upgrade path here Theater appear larger. I've observed that a LOT of SET guys own Theater 4's. Are the Theater 7's the series of choice for SET users? Would be good to start with Stage or Premium to preserve upgrade path to Pros in the future.

Priorities are inner resolution, coherence, tonal balance, dynamic contrast at medium volume over say ultra high SPL.

Thanks for any feedback!

Re: Upgrade path with 7's? [message #49446 is a reply to message #49445] Sun, 07 May 2006 23:16 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think your room will be OK. You may want to check it out with CARA. The bay window isn't too much disruption for the lowest bas frequencies because of the long wavelengths involved. And if the room has the typical framed drywall construction of most Northern American homes, your room damping will be pretty good which will tend to smooth room modes. Furniture like couches and padded chairs tend to help too.

As for models, the Professional Series seven π's are definitely the best. The Stage model is good, great bang for the buck. The Theater is nice too, but large. Makes the bass bin as wide as the midhorn. All are fine with SET amps because the impedance curve is very smooth. The midhorn and woofer tend to damp each other and smooth the overall impedance curve.

Previous Topic: Suspending Speakers
Next Topic: Corner Horn positioning "Sweet Spot" for listening...HELP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 12:53:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout