Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Tax refund is close - what PI speaker for me?
Tax refund is close - what PI speaker for me? [message #48893] Fri, 17 February 2006 09:53 Go to next message
ThomasF is currently offline  ThomasF
Esquire
Hallo all,

I finally set my mind on a pair of PI speakers, to be ordered when the
tax refund comes in. I've been hanging around this forum for a while, but still don't know which PI speaker to get. They will be the main speakers in my house, no home theater. I'll use them for watching TV, Pop, Rock, Metal, Jazz. They are around 2 ft away from the wall in the back, about 1-2 ft to the sides. Listening position probably 8-12 ft away. My hw is a Yamaha receiver, I also have a Bottlehead S.E.X amp. And a wife...

OK, I'm trying to select the speaker that is the best compromise of being not too tall, image/soundstage good, and give me that live experience. Was thinking Stage 3/4 PI, Theater 3/4 PI, or Thermionic. The Theater 4 PI might be a little on the tall side.

If there is somebody who'd share their experience with me, that'll be great.

Thanks a lot, Tom

Re: Tax refund is close - what PI speaker for me? [message #48896 is a reply to message #48893] Fri, 17 February 2006 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have the Theater 4's and they sound great with just about every type of amp known. But if you need a little less imposing prescence I would suggest the Stage Models. The Theaters will dominate a normal size living room unless you have really big furniture.
The wives I am sorry to say will just have to get used to this size speaker; and I say that here only because she can't hear me. Maybe someday she will let me put them back in the living room.

Re: Tax refund is close - what PI speaker for me? [message #48897 is a reply to message #48896] Fri, 17 February 2006 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom is currently offline  tom
Chancellor
Yeahh, I actually was eying the stage 4PI - looks like a better driver in smaller cabinet. Will probably make the cabinet higher, and slimer, the wife, you know

Thanks for sharing your experience - Tom

Re: Tax refund is close - what PI speaker for me? [message #48902 is a reply to message #48893] Fri, 17 February 2006 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
It sounds like you might almost have room for the Seven Pi cornerhorns. That's what I'd spend your money on!

Duke

Re: Tax refund is close - what PI speaker for me? [message #48930 is a reply to message #48893] Mon, 20 February 2006 12:01 Go to previous message
Pfenning is currently offline  Pfenning
Chancellor
I have the Stage 4's. Wayne recommended them to me specifically for the Bottlehead Paramours. I really like them alot. They are capable of reproducing a wide range of music effortlessly. In my opinion, that's where a lot of Hi Eff. speakers fall down. I've had several other brands and types, (single drivers, and line array's) and they seem to have weaknesses in bass, or get congested in heavy passages of music. The Stages do it all well, and the big surprise is the midrange. I find it very smooth and real sounding. I wasn't sure what to expect out of such a large driver covering such a large feq. range, but it works great. I added a riser under mine about 12" tall and found them to throw a better, bigger image and soundstage. I have augmented mine with a sub around 55 and lower, but I listen to mostly rock, and it really is an incredible sound. Way recommended, talk to Wayne, he can help you choose the correct model for your equiptment.

Pfenning

Previous Topic: cut out for dx25
Next Topic: Hy Wayne please.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 10:13:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers